File size limitation of my flash drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

surinder

Tech addict
Hello all, I have a 8GB flash drive working all well apart from I'm not able to write any single file of over 4GB in size on it. I think it is because of FAT 32 formation of my flash drive. I'm using windows XP SP3 NTFS format and unable to convert flash drive's formation to NTFS from FAT 32. What can I do to overcome this bottleneck of file size of under 4GB.

Dark Core

Freak Beta 1
Ya, it's coz of FAT 32 limitation. If you can't format with ur PC(Windows XP) - take it to a friend who has Vista, and format it as NTFS.

paroh

Padawan
Ever wondered why you can’t format your USB drives to NTFS. Its because Windows XP by default won’t allow you to do so except format either to FAT or FAT32. But its fairly easy to get over it and enable NTFS files system on your removable devices.

NTFS does allow you encrypt your files with Windows XP’s built in file encryption. It also lets you to add allow and deny permissions on individual files and folders for specific Windows users, something you can’t think of using FAT systems. On the down side NTFS file system won’t get detected in most linux systems, besides that the encryption is pretty much useless. However if you can get over this few demerits NTFS file system is very good for daily usage.

Here is how to format USB drive with NTFS.

First, plug in your USB device to a free USB port of your computer. Now rightclick on My Computer and select Manage.

*i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/maina231/nt1.png

How to format a USB drive with NTFS file system

Now after moving to the computer management window, click on the Device Manager and then expand the disk drives, you’ll see your USB drive listed there.

*i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/maina231/nt2.png

Now rightclick on the USB drive and select Properties. Now go to the Policies tab.

*i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/maina231/nt3.png

You’ll see two options, one is “Optimize for quick removal” and other is “Optimize for performance”, select the second option “Optimize for performance”. This enables you to format the drive to NTFS.

*i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/maina231/nt4.png

Now click on OK and go to My Computer. Rightclick on the drive and now choose Format. In the file system drop down you’ll see the NTFS format option.

Note:Thanks to the orignal poster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom