Fedora Core 4 installed ...... trouble trouble trouble...

Status
Not open for further replies.

iinfi

mekalodu
i have 2 HDD ... one 20GB and another 40GB ....
i had Windows XP installed on one of my 20GB HDD ..... i installed Fedora Core 4 on the other drive ....

:arrow: ... i had chosen the basic installation which required jus 2 CDs out of four .... i chose GRUB as my boot loader ......
while installing i made a slight mess and the GRUB show 3 options

Fedora Core 4 <---
Windows
Other <---

i had chosen Windows as the default option .... but its actuall "Other" which points to where XP is installed .....

so by default if i leave my PC after starting it ...it jus chooses "Windows" and says "DISK BOOT ERROR"

i want to change the GRUB and have only .....
Fedora Core 4 and
Other
as 2 boot options.... with Other as default
How do i do it???

:arrow: and another thing ....my mouse is not working ... it is a serial Logitech scroll mouse .... does FC4 support it ????.....

:arrow: how do i access files on my windows partition from FC4 and vice versa???? is it possible ??? i think the partition on which i had installed FC4 was "Linux Ext3"

ujjwal

Padawan
While logged in as root, edit the file /boot/grub/menu.lst with any text editor. Towards the bottom of the file, you will see lines which read something like this

title Fedora
root (hd0,0)

and so on ... remove the lines which appear just below "title Windows". Now rename "title Other" to "title Windows", keeping the lines below it intact.

To make this the default, edit the line which has something like "default 0" (should be near the top of the file), and replace 0 with 1 (assuming the lines to boot windows are located immediately after the corresponding ones for fedora).

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
Ok, these has been answered a hell of times.

Q1 is solved already by ujjwal.
Q2: type mouseconfig in terminal and select your mouse from there. FC4 has no isue with logitech mice. probably you selected a wrong option while installation.
Q3 is answered Here

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
i ran the "mouseconfig" command at the terminal window and selected my serial mouse and selected the port (COM1).
but i get the following error messages

Shutting down console mouse services [FAILED]
Starting Console mouse services! imput attach: Can't set line discipline [OK]

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
tried ...

getting the same error ...
in windows i see that my mouse is installed at COM1
and its name is "logitech First/Pilot Mouse+Serial (C48)"

i selected the Logitech serial mouse in FC4 ..... and i tried all options ..... i m getting the same error .... :( :?

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
actually i had tried all the options .....

i will try again and post the resuts

@desertwind: thank you for ur help ....

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
selected "Generic Serial 2/3" ..... still mouse does not work

well after i unchecked the "gpm" restarted and tried the "mouseconfig" .... there is no error ...... but the mouse pointer refuses to budge from its place in the middle of the screen ....

earlier i didnt know i had to stop the gpm .....for it to work ......

selected "Generic Serial 2/3" and even tried restarting the PC .... still no use .....

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
no sorry .... i have tried all permutations and combinations with the available set of mice options and ports .......

still the mouse pointer is very adamant and refuses to move from the default position at the center of the screen ...

i know nothing abt FC4 coz i have installed for the first time ....i m not an avid linux user ...... i jus wanna ask if there is any setting somewhere which overriding the "mouseconfig" cmd and mouse selection coz of which my mouse is not working .....

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
@desertwind:
$cat /etc/sysconfig/mouse

FULLNAME="Generic 3 Button Mouse (Serial)"
MOUSETYPE="Microsoft"
XEMU3="no"
XMOUSETYPE="Microsoft"
IMOUSETYPE="ms"
DEVICE=/dev/input/mice

@vignesh: my mouse is a serial mouse and my PC doesnt have a USB port :d

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
hmm... seems no problem with that configuration.
OK, now open /etc/X11/xorg.conf in any text editor say, vi, and find the lines similar to the one below.
Code:
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"

now change whatever it is after the Protocol part (here IMPS/2) to Microsoft or Logitech (Try both). Don't touch any other line. save and exit.

hey infii, why dont you try connecting the mouse to the other serial port ?
Or just try lend a mouse from your friends and try it on your machine, to check whether the problem is with the port of the mouse ?

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Actually I installed FC4 yesterday,mine was automatically configured.

Ok try removing the mouse and boot into Fedora and then boot again after inserting the mouse.Kudzu should detect it or give you an option to choose it.Try this it worked for me while using RH9..

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
@desertwind: i dont think that wud be a problem with the port or the mouse coz it runs fine in my XP ... i m using XP rite now and the mouse is running fine ....

i will make the changes in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and post the results ....

OP
iinfi

iinfi

mekalodu
i made the changes specified by you in "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" ...... still the mouse is not working ..... :(
is jus making the changes enough or sud i do something more .... i even restarted the PC ... still no use ..... and ran the mouseconfig again ....still no use ....

the mouse is still not working

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
Then i really sugget you to do this.
desertwind said:
hey infii, why dont you try connecting the mouse to the other serial port ?
Or just try lend a mouse from your friends and try it on your machine, to check whether the problem is with the port of the mouse ?

Because,sometimes some hardware wont work with some software for no reason. Just check it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom