Fedora 7 - Some one please reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMaskEditor

Right off the assembly line
Hello everyone,

Regarding the Fedora distro in July 2007 issue, is there any way that i can use it as a live DVD, i mean something like getting on the command prompt and starting the KDE or Gnome from the the command line, that too without installing it on a HDD. cuz i am very short of real estate on my hard drive.

Secondly I have a 1 GB pen drive, is there any way by which i can install linux on the per drive and create a live USB,

I tried installing it on the USB by following the screens on the DVD, even removed most of the apps to fit it on the USB, but still it did not work, half way through the installation i get some wired error message and bump.

i guess i had seen a tutorial with all the screenshots on some website (maybe redhat or frdora or something ....) where they had demonstrated installing the linux on the USB Stick.

as of now is there any way or any tutorial through with i can install the fedora on my USB stick, directly from the digit july 2007 DVD.

help would be appreciated.

BTW thanks for Urban terror, a few tips or article links on how to play the game would be appreciated, i am able to play it offline in "free for all" mode using bots but am not good at shooting, aiming and tackling them.

I get an err msg "swap error" when i try to play codered.

thanks

tMe

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ If you want to try PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, Knoppix or DSL on pendrive then go to The Pendrive Linux Website... Dunno about Fedora, I too got the same error while installing it on 1G Pen Drive.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
afaik, fedora core doesn't haf ive cd/dvd support. but then its not impossible to create one. welcome to the world of linux! if u are not happy wid something then create ur own :)

this link explains how to create a fedora core 4 live cd. u may try it for the same for fedora 7. but its not guaranteed.
*fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php...hard_is_it_to_create_a_Fedora_Core_LiveCD_.3F

secondly, aditya has mentioned the pendrive linux website. u may like to go thru it. but honestly, i wudn't recommend installing an distro (or for than matter any OS including windows xp live) on a pen drive. the freq read/write procedure will badly affect the life of the usb flash drive.

is there any particular reason why you wanna stick to fedora only? if u wan a live cd distro, (k)ubuntu is the best one. do give it a try.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ I agree... the life of the drive will be reduced, but then, get a Transcend PenDrive with lifetime warranty..... (I assume that means, they think that the drives have unlimited read-write cycles;-)).....

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
aditya.shevade said:
^^ I agree... the life of the drive will be reduced, but then, get a Transcend PenDrive with lifetime warranty..... (I assume that means, they think that the drives have unlimited read-write cycles;-)).....
the lifetime of these gadgets is estimated to be around 3 years. so a lifetime warranty of almost 'any' electronic device (and pen drive for sure) is for 3 years!!! so even if it goes kaput and u get a replacement its a hassle to again go thru all this to install linux on it.....

Last edited:

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ I dunno.... I have not tried.... but if any problem arises before that (3 years), you can always demand a replacement (If you are that interested)....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom