FC1, Intel 845 MoBo, resolution only 800x600

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfan

Technomancer
I have PCQ Linux based on FC1 installed on my machine. I recently upgraded my Mother Board and processor to original Intel 845 motherboard with P IV 2.4 MHz processor.

After upgrade, the max display resolution is only 800x600. There is no option for making it 1024x658, however I can reduce it to 640x480 from Control Center. Earlier it was 1024x768. I have a 17" Samsung Monitor.

Can some please tell me how to get a screen resolution of 1024x768?

Secondly, earlier I had only 128 MB RAM, so SWAP was 256 MB. Now I have 256 MB RAM. How can I make SWAP partition 512 MB? Or is it okay if it remains at 256?

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
The swap size is ok at 512 MB For the resolution problem just add an entry of 1024x768 into the x config file under /etc/X11/ (Just check the forum this problem has been handled 'n' number of times )

OP
tuxfan

tuxfan

Technomancer
pradeep_chauhan said:
The swap size is ok at 512 MB For the resolution problem just add an entry of 1024x768 into the x config file under /etc/X11/ (Just check the forum this problem has been handled 'n' number of times )

I am extremely sorry for not searching before starting a new thread.

BTW, my swap size is *NOT* 512 MB. It is only 256 MB. I want to make it 512 MB :( Resizing the swap partition is the need.

firewall, thank you for pointing me to a perfect thread. I wonder how someone else can start a thread with the same title at some other place!! But, I am not the same person :)

firewall

In the zone
yes.. just noticed after you pointed out ! Its really amazing.. anyway.. you got the solution i think ;)

a.m

firewall

In the zone
you may find the following thread intersting and useful :)

*linuxjunkies.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=394

:)

a.m

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
The swap of 256 is er OK till you do not do a lot of heavy multitasking say open up openoffice + work on a large graphics file + do a kernel compile all at the same time Till then its ok genrally for systems having memory < 512MB the recommended size is twice the ram size beyong this its = ram so i recommend stick with 256 its ok.

OP
tuxfan

tuxfan

Technomancer
I never do heavy multi tasking. So I guess, its fine the way it is. Thanks a lot. I have already got my required screen resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom