Failing Hard Disk Drives

RBX

In the zone
My desktop 1TB disk drive seems to be failing and has got a lot of damaged sectors.
*i.imgur.com/qYdagn4.png

The figures seem to be changing rapidly.
*i.imgur.com/8ay7O40.png

*i.imgur.com/TMCDJ2c.png

It has another 500 GB disk drive that often produces clicking sound and disappears. The problem started several months ago and then totally disappeared, now is frequent again. Haven't run a full HD Tune scan, but health tab shows no anomaly.

And lastly my laptop HDD shows following info and no error on a quick HD Tune scan.

*i.imgur.com/mzXXMkz.png

How bad does the condition seem? Can anything be done to keep the desktop 1 TB running by avoiding the damaged sectors etc?
What can be done to cure the desktop 500 GB problem, and is the laptop 500 GB in any danger?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if reallocated sector count is increasing rapidly then backup your drive as soon as possible.if it is not changing rapidly & remained same for weeks on an old hdd then only you can take it easy as all drives with time & enough usage will have some reallocated sectors.crc error usually represent sata cable/connector issue.

OP
RBX

RBX

In the zone
if reallocated sector count is increasing rapidly then backup your drive as soon as possible.if it is not changing rapidly & remained same for weeks on an old hdd then only you can take it easy as all drives with time & enough usage will have some reallocated sectors.crc error usually represent sata cable/connector issue.

Apparently I had problems in partitions F and G but now my C partition also seems to be damaged. I've heard of techniques like zero-fill that might help recover from these problems. Is there a tool that I can use to apply zero-fill or something similar on only these 3 partitions?

P.S. This thread better suits Storage section, somehow ended up posting it here. Mods, please move it if feels apt.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
you can try HDDGURU: HDD LLF Low Level Format Tool but once reallocated sector raw value reaches 2 figures then it is time to keep that hdd on watch list & replace it before it reaches near threshold value(which may take a few hours to a few weeks depending upon the rate at which reallocated sectors are increasing).

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Before you try anything RazorbladeXtreme, take a complete BACKUP!
If you love your data even an ounce, you would have did it by now.

OP
RBX

RBX

In the zone
It didn't have anything important, I keep all the important stuff in the 500 GB HDD.

For a replacement, how is this ? WD Caviar Green 1 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (WD10EZRX) - WD: Flipkart.com

Also, are there cases available for Desktop HDDs that allow plugging-in using USB (I have seen for laptop HDDs)?

Top Bottom