Facing very strange issue with bsnl broadband-please help

quicky008

Technomancer
i am facing a very strange issue with my dataone connection for the last few days. Even though i can log in successfully,my internet connection still doesn't work ie i cannot access any websites and the networking icon on the task bar shows a yellow exclamation mark(this never happened earlier,usually the networking icon showed connected after i had logged in and the exclamation mark disappeared immediately thereafter). I don't understand what's wrong-i have never faced this problem earlier. I have reported the matter to the concerned authorities but they seem totally clueless about this issue. What can i do now to determine the cause of this problem? Please help. (I have a dlink 2520 adsl modem).

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
welcome to the next level of bsnl connectivity issues(different from usual line problem).i face this issue for a few hours every month.i think it has something to do with either connectivity issue between local exchange & main broadband line or some server issue which allots dynamic IPs to connections from a local exchange.of course local exchange people will be clueless about this as it seems to be a highly technical issue.if it happens continuously,say for 2-3 working days,then it is time to visit main exchange of your area under which local exchange comes else simply wait for a few hours for this issue to go away.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Thanks for replying whitestar. Actually i too was under the impression that this was a temporary glitch and hoped that it would be fixed automatically-so i have waited for the last 8-10 days but this problem has still not been resolved-i haven't been able to access a single website during this period .Thus I thought that my modem was probably acting up and so i tried connecting with another modem but it was of no use and resulted in the same problem. The official at the local exchange is saying that there is no problem at their end but i don't think that's true-he is either bluffing or has no idea of what he is talking about. It seems i will have to visit the main exchange at kolkata shortly and apprise them of my problem. However what will i do if they too refuse to believe me and keep saying that there is no problem with my connection?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
this much time is definitely unusual for this issue.maybe the problem is with your connection DSLAM port at local exchange because otherwise they would be getting similar complaints from others too.ask them to change your DSLAM port after telling them you tried with another modem too & that they are welcome to try with their own modem.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
ok i will do what you have suggested.Truth be told,i am utterly frustrated with bsnl broadband-not a month goes by without some kind of inscrutable problem that crops up and completely disrupts my internet access for several days at a stretch. For instance, in December, there was no link for around 12 days even though my phone line was ok.As there are no other reliable isps in my area,i have no choice but to keep using bsnl,despite the aforesaid issues.The problem i am currently facing is really weird-i wonder how much longer its going to last.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I do not have deeper knowledge of networking. On my Windows XP installation when I get that yellow exclamation, I right click it in systray and select Repair.

I also switch to other DNS providers in the modem. BSNL DNS is extremely unreliable for me.

ash63425

Broken In
I am also the one who sometimes has to undergo this situation sometimes. What I generally do complaining and retrying until the problem resolves, they say its due to some sort of conflict in IPs but I could not get it.

Top Bottom