External HDD review requried - 250GB+

Status
Not open for further replies.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I'm in need of an external HDD with decent read-write speed. Due to wide acceptance of USB 2.0 I'm ditching IEEE1394 and going in for the former.

Need feedback on external HDD with a minimum capacity of 250GB. The more the better but haf a price constraint of about 6-7k. I do not wish to buy the laptop HDD + casing. Want a molded one. Kindly pour in your views.

napster007

Padawan
for a budget of 6-7 k u'll easily get a segate free agent 320gb HDD. it has awesome speeds and looks good too! you shoud check it out

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Ankur bought one few months ago, cant find the link of his post in this forum, but here is the review on his blog :p

*www.ankur-gupta.com/blog/reviews/western-digital-250gb-passport-review

Do a search in the forum, as I think he also posted here in the forum, the thread had too info in following discussion :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Review by Ankur Gupta: *www.ankur-gupta.com/blog/reviews/western-digital-250gb-passport-review

Same one by me: *www.beingmanan.com/wp/2008/02/quick-look-at-western-digital-passport-250-gb-external/

If you are gonna buy 1, get a WD, they look slick, great performance and reliable.

@Choto: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75344

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
While there is no doubt that the Passport series are really "passports" :D am a bit skeptical about them; prolly coz my stint with them hasn't been a pleasant one. But then that was a year and a half ago. Things would've definitely improved by now. What are your thots on the Passport after using it for couple of months, iMav?

I do see at theitwares that in the 500G category, Freeagent is available for Rs.5.4k, MyBook Essential for 4.9k and MyBook Home for 5.5k. I do not see the Passport series. While portability is not the only deciding factor (but still important), which one would the Digitians recommend?

Edit: Oh I guess MyBook is ruled out since it requires an external power adapter :( Forgot about that!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
I love the passport, looks slick and behaves as well! So far it has been good to me.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Not really sure on how much is the warranty. I think it is either a year or 3. And no, it does not come in 500, it has 320 max. Check this page out. See the Passport Elite.

OP
infra_red_dude

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Bought Transcend Storejet 25 Mobile 250GB for Rs.4250. The Passport was on its way out.. being replaced by the flimsy WD Elements. Seagate Freeagent is shamelessly expensive.

Pretty impressed by this Storejet. Has the toughest protection I've ever seen for an external drive (apparently meets the US Military drop test). Speed is impressive; a sustained 28 MB/s Write. Also has one-touch backup (button).

Last edited:

narangz

Web developer
Pretty impressed by this Storejet. Has the toughest protection I've ever seen for an external drive (apparently meets the US Military drop test). Speed is impressive; a sustained 28 MB/s Write. Also has one-touch backup (button).

Wow! If that's true then it's the best choice for external HDDs.

Have you tried dropping it from top floor of your house? :D

Bought Transcend Storejet 25 Mobile 250GB for Rs.4250. The Passport was on its way out.. being replaced by the flimsy WD Elements. Seagate Freeagent is shamelessly expensive.

SP Road ? Shop Address please. I am paying good old SP Road a visit this Sunday. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom