Exter GPU finally revealed

somulesnar

Journeyman
Good news for lappy gamers or gamers on the move.

Personally i think that notebooks are not the devices to be used for extreme gaming, one should have and over cooled Desktop system for that stuff but latest notebooks are coming with quite decent graphics processors and can handle some GPU breaking games but the one that is inside my notebook tries almost to melt my notebook down when i play Battlefield BC 2 or some other game like that, any way their is good news for me as well as for all the other notebook gamers that MSI has been preparing to launch and external graphics system for Notebooks and they named it Graphic Upgrade Solution or GUS.

GUS basically is and external graphics card that connects to your notebook via Express card interface and supports PCI-Express x16 graphics cards. With this system you can boost your notebook’s graphics performance by 19 folds and you can enjoy gaming with out the fear of over heating of your laptop.

MSI is also planning to launch a USB 3.0 version of this system in future which would make it more easy to interface it with notebooks. Pricing scheme has also been release by MSI as the standard GUS will cost you about $100 with an additional $100 if you want to connect HD 5670 or any other high end GPU with it.

MSI hopes that this system shall be warmly welcomed by all the notebook gamers.

also check this LINK.

Also check this video.

Man i am surely going for this.
what abt u guys......:-D

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Given the size of that thing, I would rather go with an xbox or Playstation.

this gives more info on XGP btw: DailyTech - AMD to Give Notebooks a Boost With 5000 Series Mobility External GPUs

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Gus only supports amd mobility series gpu's which mean desktop hardware is not supported owing to higher power requirements. That means it will come in kits and cannot be self configured.

The casing alone costs 110 -200 dollars i.e without the gpu. So the total cost will also be much higher.

So in a nutshell, gus is going to be an expensive affair in india but its a step in the right direction.

OP
somulesnar

somulesnar

Journeyman
@ desiibond

I wud agree to u on tht point.

Yes the external GPU wudnt satisfy the greed of a hardcore gamer gaming at an extreme graphics level. But it wud make the casual gamers gave on their laptop in medium res and graphics. the external gpu is also a gr8 hope for aged laptops to watch HD on it too. so in my opinion the external gpu is a boon to casual laptop gamers.

OP
somulesnar

somulesnar

Journeyman
@ vickybat

Totally agree to u on tht point. But the prices are expected to fall by the end of this year.

Top Bottom