Extending life of my old PC

chris

In the zone
My PC have following config.

CPU = Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz
Motherboard = SABERTOOTH X58
RAM = Corsair DDR-III Memory 2GB With Heat Sink- Model CMX2GX3M1A1333C9

When i run virtual machine, my PC become very slow. System usage (Ubuntu top command) shows i am running out of RAM and start using virtual memory (swap).

Look like a RAM upgrade help me keep using my PC for some more time before i buy a new PC.

I don't want to spend lot of money on this old PC as i won't be able to use this DDR 3 RAM when i buy a new PC.

Can someone suggest reliable RAM that is not very costly, work with my motherboard - SABERTOOTH X58 ?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Kingston ValueRAM, EVM, Strontium are reliable low cost RAM, you can buy.
Make sure you buy original though becaues there are a lot of fake RAMs floating around.
Just last month I sold 4X2 GB DDR3 1600 mhz sticks, see if you can find second hand.

OP
C

chris

In the zone
Kingston ValueRAM, EVM, Strontium are reliable low cost RAM, you can buy.

Thanks for the suggestion, i will check it on local market.

Just last month I sold 4X2 GB DDR3 1600 mhz sticks, see if you can find second hand.

I was planing to buy 3 * 4 GB RAM sticks and removing existing 3 * 2 GB RAM as using diff manufacture RAM can cause problem ?

Any DDR 3 RAM will work on my motherboard or i need to check some other specific values too ?

Motherboard manual says

Code:
6 x DIMM, max. 24GB, DDR3 1866 / 1800 / 1600 / 1333 / 1066 MHz, non-ECC, un-buffered memory

Nerevarine

Incarnate
get non ECC DDR3 memory, and make sure you get RAM that matches the lowest frequency of your existing RAM. Even if you get higher, your motherboard will just tone down.

OP
C

chris

In the zone
get non ECC DDR3 memory, and make sure you get RAM that matches the lowest frequency of your existing RAM. Even if you get higher, your motherboard will just tone down.

Thank you, so i can use my existing RAM too ? I was thinking i have to remove them buy another 3 stick and use it, so i get 12 GB RAM, If i can keep my existing 6 GB RAM, i will have 18 GB of RAM, that will be great. Current RAM is 1066 Mhz.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
You won't find DDR3 1066 ram now(at least not from current stock). You can get DDR3 1333 or DDR1600 ram from Corsair,Crucial,Kingston or Transcend(unless absolutely necessary,don't go cheaper than these brands).

Top Bottom