EXPLAIN - Why does the power go off at random for short durations

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Where I live we have the scheduled power cuts. Then we have power down due to maintenance work. Then there are the explained ones such as due to rains causing trees to fall on power lines etc.

What has completely baffle me are the completely random very brief (generally lasting less than 5 minutes) power cuts like one that happened just now.

Does anyone know?

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
yeah. im curious too. in summer especially this used to happen 10-15 times. nowadays it happens 3-5 times.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
where do you live [MENTION=139416]sling-shot[/MENTION]?

Gollum

Collector
Where I live we have the scheduled power cuts. Then we have power down due to maintenance work. Then there are the explained ones such as due to rains causing trees to fall on power lines etc.

What has completely baffle me are the completely random very brief (generally lasting less than 5 minutes) power cuts like one that happened just now.

Does anyone know?

Yea, Even I was thinking why is power going off so often.
Maybe god is playing with the light switch in his own country.

tkin

Back to school!!

Does anyone know?
5 mins per area during high load? If they break up the total area by 12, they can save 8% power at that time(11 out of 12 areas get power at any moment). MAYBE....

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
5 mins per area during high load? If they break up the total area by 12, they can save 8% power at that time(11 out of 12 areas get power at any moment). MAYBE....

it happens whole across kerala(may be!). they are buying more electricity from outside paying a lot more.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
EXPLANATION (Got indirectly from a KSEB engineer)

Wherever the power-lines run overhead, tree branches touch and cause tripping in the power station. Once that happens it has to be manually reset, so the short time delay.

Dastan

Broken In
Happens almost daily here in capital city (trivandrum) . Never wondered why as I've grown accustomed to it over time btw anyway good to know what could possibly be causing this.

Last edited: