Excel 08 behaving differently on Windows and Mac

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
Hi Guys

I am developing an integration between Excel and a System Software. Basically the System software downloads data in Excel format, fills it and uploads it back and the DB is updated after the uploaded.

However I'm facing an issue. The Mac version of excel is not behaving properly however the Windows version is.

Here is my problem:

Download the following file and open in excel On a Mac:
Code:
*www.mediafire.com/view/?9uas7adkeh6x5bu]Free Cloud Storage - MediaFire

My requirement:

To have a dropdown on sheet '11-JUL-2012' , cell E7 , which shows the data from sheet 'Drop_Down_Data' , cell A9 to A35323.

If you click on the cell E7(on first sheet) you can see there is an indicator for drop down , but there is no value loaded.

Now try this:
Select the cell, E7 and Go to Data->Validate .

Change
Code:
 '=Drop_Down_Data!$A$9:$A$35323'
to
Code:
'=Drop_Down_Data!$A$9:$A$10000'
. Voila! The drop down works.
It basically is showing the data from Cell A9 to A10000. Now change it to
Code:
'=Drop_Down_Data!$A$10000:$A$35323'
. Again , the drop down works. So it is now showing the data from A10000 to A35323.

So it means there is no wrong data in the list, and I see no reason why the drop down is not working from line A9 to A35323.

Funny thing is, if you download the file and open it using Excel 07 in Windows, it will work perfectly.

Any idea why this behavior is so?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
The difference is obviously because of differences in the excel versions. The two are not compatible.
Each new versions of Excel comes with some added features and some are deprecated. Even different versions of excel on same OS can behave differently, let alone on separate OSes.

You will have to find a turn around for your requirement or try to find compatible versions.

Top Bottom