Ethernet Card Problem

Samarth Khurana

Right off the assembly line
Hello everyone.
I have an old Computer running Windows XP SP2 with 1GB of RAM (1 stick PC2100 512MB and one stick PC3200 512MB). Earlier I used to access Internet on this PC via USB. Thinking that Ethernet would be a better option, I bought a cheap Ethernet Card from Nehru Place. After fixing it in the PCI slot of the motherboard, Windows detects new Hardware and after few seconds, the message appears: A problem occurred during Hardware installation. On, running Device Manager, the message reads: The device could not start (Code10). Another weird thing which I noticed is that in system properties my computer RAM is shown as 512MB, although after removing the Ethernet Card and rebooting, RAM is shown as 0.99GB.
I just wanted to know whether the Ethernet Card is defective or it is a problem with the motherboard or maybe something else.

OP
S

Samarth Khurana

Thank you for your quick reply.
Well I have tried on both the PCI slots. The problem still persists.
As far as drivers part is concerned, on the ethernet card box, it was written 'Plug & Play', No Driver Needed. On playing the supplied CD, I saw 3 files- LAN Card, MCS9865 and MODEM (I think they have combined the drivers for their entire range of add on cards). On clicking LAN Card I again saw 3 files- 8139lan, 8169 and USB LAN. Since I saw 8139 stamped on the chipset of the ethernet card, I clicked 8139lan. Now I saw 20 files, one of which was WindowsXP. Clicking Windows XP opened few more files but I couldn't find the Driver anywhere. Any idea where should I look for it.

CA50

Cyborg Agent
better insert the card, next go to device manager, right click on the ethernet card>reinstall driver>manual select>browse to the cd drive and insert your driver cd that case with the card.

BTW what brand is your card?

OP
S

Samarth Khurana

Its a Hytech brand Ethernet Card.
Tried doing what you said. Still the problem persists. I think since the Card is under warranty, I will first get it replaced and then check with the new card.

CA50

Cyborg Agent
Yea go ahead try replacing it, if you have time then you can also try it in ur friends pc

OP
S

Samarth Khurana

Ya, I will definitely get it replaced first, and if I face some problem again I will once more come to trouble you!

Top Bottom