error message on booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas K Prakash

Right off the assembly line
I have windows 98, windows 2000 and linux installed on separate partitions on a system with AMD Athlon 1300+ processor, 160 MB (modules of 128+32) SDRAM, 20 GB hard disk, and NVIDIA Riva TNT 32 MB AGP card. My problem is that I receive the following error message while loading windows 98. 'Windows is unable to load Registry. It may be fixed by restarting the computer in Command Prompt Only and running SCANREG /FIX. Otherwise, there may not be enough conventional memory to load the Registry.'
While running 'scanreg /fix', the system seem to hang on executing the step 'Checking system registry structures' when it reaches 6% in the screen showing 'Repairing 'C:\windows\system.dat'. It never reaches the next step of 'Rebuilding system re> gistry', necessitating press of the restart button and the same error message persists.
In Sisoft Sandra, under the category, DOS memory information, under the subtitle 'XMS Driver', the memory size is given as 159 MB ; and Free Memory 2MB ie, 1 percent of the total memory.
In the Virtual memory settings of Windows, I have selected 'Let Windows manage my virtual memory settings.'
Please tell me why is this error message appearing and what is the solution to get rid of it.
Also, what is to be done for the SCANREG programme to compelete its execution?
Is anybody aware of any solution?

sailendra

Journeyman
Welcome to the forum Thomas. :)
Now, about your problem : usually windows keeps a backup copy of the Registry files System.dat and User.dat . Try this procedure to restore your registry:

*support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;221512

Under normal circumstances, Windows is capable of detecting and recovering from registry errors automatically. If Windows is incapable of this, a previous copy of the registry can be restored manually. Windows makes and stores a backup of the registry when you start your computer successfully each day. By default, five previous copies or the registry are stored. To restore one of these previous copies:

1. Start your computer, press and hold CTRL, and then choose Safe Mode Command Prompt Only from the Windows 98 Startup menu. If you are running Windows Me, start your computer with the startup disk.
2. At the MS-DOS prompt, type cd\windows\command, and then press ENTER. Where windows is the name of the folder in which Windows is installed.

3. At the C: prompt, type scanreg /restore, and then press ENTER.
4. Select the previous registry you want to restore, and then press ENTER.NOTE: A properly working registry has the word "Started" next to the date.

5. When you receive notification that you restored a properly working registry, press ENTER to restart your computer.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom