Eee PC 1000H arrives with Windows XP, not Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
*www.idg.com.au/gim.php/id/7612/res/2​

ASUS' latest addition to the Eee PC family, the 10-inch 1000H, is now available in Australia sans the Linux operating system than made it famous.

The 1000H is the third-generation Eee PC and differentiates itself from its predecessors with a 10-inch display and a 80GB hard drive, and about an additional 450 grams of weight at 1.45kg.

In announcing the new model, ASUS made no mention of Linux, only stating the 1000H will ship with the Microsoft Windows XP operating system.
This is in stark contrast to the noise ASUS made when the first Linux-powered Eee PCs burst onto the notebook scene last year.

When asked why the new 1000H only ships with Windows XP a spokesperson for ASUS said the reason is "mainly due to high consumer demand for the familiar Microsoft [operating system], particularly since [the 1000H] is available through retail only".

"For those who want Linux, it can be easily and freely installed on this Windows version anyway," the spokesperson said.

So there, the Eee PC is now not unlike any other Windows XP notebook that Linux can be installed on at home.

According to ASUS, the larger 1024x600 resolution display will allow users to view A4-size documents and Web pages without the need to scroll left and right.

For connectivity, the 1000H includes Bluetooth, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, and 100Mbps Ethernet.

Other features include a 1.3M pixel webcam, built-in stereo speakers and microphone, and three USB ports, 1GB of DDR II RAM, a SDHC card reader, and Intel UMA graphics.

With its Super Hybrid Engine technology, ASUS claims the 1000H can adjust CPU frequency, voltage and LCD brightness to minimize noise and energy consumption saving up to 15 percent of power consumption or maximizing performance.

The 6-cell battery is claimed to last four and a half hours.

The Eee PC 1000H is now available in two colours, white and black, and retails for $699 including GST.

Source

Guys, what do you think about ASUS EEPC evolution?

From my point of view, I think they just used Linux to enter into the Laptop market and now dumped it once that they have got enough fame to attract people to their line up.

I'm not saying this because they are using XP on it, I mean, look at their new 1000H, what's special about it? nothing! and it sells for 699$ - 31K INR with which you can buy a complete full fledged core2duo laptop with a 15.4" screen..I mean, I just don't get it, what so good about this laptop? It might have been famous because of it's previous models, but just forgetting that there was any products before this, would you spend 31K to buy this dwarf?

Not me, rather than going by it's previous popularity and blindly going behind it, if it was me, I would just get something like a Dell 1525 for that money! This is the reason why I say they just used linux to get to fame, coz their first EEPC laptop wouldn't even run properly if it was not for linux!

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Absolutely correct.. they embraced Linux first to grow big in the western world.. and now they're shipping Windows with it.. this is insane.. and man.. I think that it is a good deal to buy previous version of Asus EEE PC with which Linux was bundled coz this is too expensive for the features.... lets see.. waise Ubuntu will surely rock on this lappy.

slugger

Banned
Asus Eee PC 1000 - 40GB SSD Linux Edition

News alredy reported

Asus to Launch Eee PC 10 inches this 24th july!!

Pat

Beyond Smart
Yup!

I'm going to get the Compaq C771U with carry case for 21K, beat that ASUS :p

Its quite simple actually. This thing is not supposed to replace your primary machine. If you are looking to buy one for your day to day tasks, EEE is just not the right choice :)

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
Absolutely correct.. they embraced Linux first to grow big in the western world.. and now they're shipping Windows with it.. this is insane.. and man.. I think that it is a good deal to buy previous version of Asus EEE PC with which Linux was bundled coz this is too expensive for the features.... lets see.. waise Ubuntu will surely rock on this lappy.

Even if it's got linux, I still wouldn't buy it for this price! There's nothing special about it anymore, especially now that it's .5Kg hevier.

as per my knowledge wind is going to come in end of 08
thats the bad new
dude ASUS Eee 1000(H) have atom 1.8ghz PRoc
battery life upto 8hrs
dude dont create rumors from news you get
MODS DELETE THIS THREAD

what **** is thread all about !!!
ASUS is coming with Linux Version too
*www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=2302&l1=24&l2=163&l3=0&l4=0

OP
Cyrus_the_virus

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
dude dont create rumors from news you get
MODS DELETE THIS THREAD

what **** is thread all about !!!

Dude, mods are here to control what happens here, you don't need to tell them what to do. If you have a problem controlling your emotions and language, then you could be banned more than deleting this thread.:!:

And about the news, it's exactly what the news is, so, if you have a problem with the news, it's your problem, not mine nor my fault.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Pat

Beyond Smart
whatever ,eee pc too have to bear window$ tax even if you dont opt window$ .how sad !

Its a business strategy by Asus. Its like you have to either opt for, say, a 12 GB SSD, Windows-based EEE or a 20 GB SSD, linux-based EEE for about the same cost.

axxo

99.9% Idle
I need a confirmation does all Eee PC comes with hard disk? I saw in specs where it listed some 2/4 GB solid state device and no information on HDD size? is it an addon or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom