DVD recorder works forever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HydraHeaded

Broken In
Hi,

I have an LG DVD recorder, and I write a DVD every two or three days.

Is there any limit to the number of CDs/DVDs you can record with a particular recorder, or can you use it forever? And is there any thing you need to do to take care of the recorder?

Thanx for the help.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Hmm.. The usual life for a DVD Writer is 1-2 years.. There's no such limit, i've seen sparingly used writers die faster.. Just keep a CD/DVD in the drive all the time. That stops dust from settling on the lense.

OP
H

HydraHeaded

Broken In
Thanx.

I didn't know it is better to keep a CD in the drive all the time; will do that from now on.

Still haven't really got an answer to my question.

Thanx.

OP
H

HydraHeaded

Broken In
Re: The question

My question was simply about the life of the writer; you have said that there is no such thing; my friend stopped using his CD writer after two months, when the computer guy (the person from whom he bought the computer) told him that there is a limit on the number of CDs/DVDs a particular writer can write, after that, you have to change the head or something. I am not sure whether this is right, which is why I am asking this. Also, you said a writer would last about two years, why is it so, I mean, there are people who have CD drives more than five years old, still functional.

Thanx.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
There is a limit to the number^^ as the laser gets weak over time, but then if you use it sparingly the purpose of your purchase may be defeated. Besides, technology keeps advancing all the time, so after say 2-3 years your spanking new, well maintained, sparingly used DVD writer may become obsolete.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Re: The question

My question was simply about the life of the writer; you have said that there is no such thing; my friend stopped using his CD writer after two months, when the computer guy (the person from whom he bought the computer) told him that there is a limit on the number of CDs/DVDs a particular writer can write, after that, you have to change the head or something. I am not sure whether this is right, which is why I am asking this. Also, you said a writer would last about two years, why is it so, I mean, there are people who have CD drives more than five years old, still functional.

Thanx.
Well, the laser starts dying after 1-2 years.. And DVD writers are dirt cheap anyway.. I'd say just use it as much as you want, and buy a new one when this one dies..

P.S. Price of changing lense: 600-800 bucks.. New witer: 1k. Heh.. now you decide :p

Last edited:

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
Hmm.. The usual life for a DVD Writer is 1-2 years..
my samsung cd writer died suddenly. now there is "???????" in the bios devices list.:D
Using benq now ...
btw sony is just a renamed benq

There's no such limit, i've seen sparingly used writers die faster.. Just keep a CD/DVD in the drive all the time. That stops dust from settling on the lense.
good idea........:)

praka123

left this forum longback
to each..there own! for me my samsung toshiba octoedge dvd writer works perfectly!while my old LG DVD ROM drive failed twice! :?

but...I have seen old LG DVD Writers which costed around 6000rs sometime back are reliable and working and still works good!.

perhaps the lens quality that determines the life!now maybe intl brands like pioneer/plextor/nec/toshiba will offer that quality :D

Thanx.

I didn't know it is better to keep a CD in the drive all the time; will do that from now on.

Still haven't really got an answer to my question.

Thanx.

having cd/dvd in your drive will ruin it. bcos it will be reading all the time and decreases the lens life.

i have lost my sony dvd by doing so.

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
having cd/dvd in your drive will ruin it. bcos it will be reading all the time and decreases the lens life.

i have lost my sony dvd by doing so.
no man.......
try this:insert a cd/dvd ...
let a couple of minutes pass.......
[u will here motor slowing down.......]
now only on accessing "my comp" the optical drive will spin the motor again.:)

Bosco D'Cruz

Right off the assembly line
Hmm.. The usual life for a DVD Writer is 1-2 years.. There's no such limit, i've seen sparingly used writers die faster.. Just keep a CD/DVD in the drive all the time. That stops dust from settling on the lense.

Hey I just don't know what to say about keeping a disk in the drive all the time. The last time I did that I kept a data DVD in my Sony AW-G170A DVD RW for about 2 days. And the next time I accessed it, it could not read that disk. It could also not read other similar disks burnt with the same burner.

Kindly help me as my burner cannot read the disks on which I have stored a lot of mp3's and data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom