DVD Player for <5K

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Hello Guys,
My dad is looking for a DVD Player. I also want to know if there are any players which supports Youtube / Network playback. if youtube feature is not available then its not a problem as I can go for network Media player later.

Primary requirement, ergonomic remote, support for DivX, and HD videos(MKV container), it would be a plus if it has 1080p upscaling

Budget upto 5K (if with Youtube access) else 3K.

Thanks

Bump!!

johnybravojr

Broken In
Check out Onida HDR 5533 Atom DVD Player(Black). The website is 'under construction', so you might have to google for specs. I got one a few months back. It has mkv container, HDMI, USB, 5.1 channel, optical audio, and more.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
any specific reason why you/your dad isnt considering a BDP ? IMO philips has some BDP models for 4-6k.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
any specific reason why you/your dad isnt considering a BDP ? IMO philips has some BDP models for 4-6k.

Actually we don't have a HDTV, also if I am going for a BDP then I would buy a PS3 instead. :) , anyway, I dont think there is any DVD player which supports youtube, so I will go for a basic DVD player and then buy a WD Live TV for other stuff ;)

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Actually we don't have a HDTV, also if I am going for a BDP then I would buy a PS3 instead. :) , anyway, I dont think there is any DVD player which supports youtube, so I will go for a basic DVD player and then buy a WD Live TV for other stuff ;)

+1 to that !

yes get a basic (and good) DVD player for your dad, and later on an HD media player.

for the media player, i would suggest you to consider upcoming media players as well, since we have some models coming up with the yet-to-be-released new version of sigmetek chipset. may be wdtv also comes up with a new model, since its based on sigmatek :)

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
+1 to that !

yes get a basic (and good) DVD player for your dad, and later on an HD media player.

for the media player, i would suggest you to consider upcoming media players as well, since we have some models coming up with the yet-to-be-released new version of sigmetek chipset. may be wdtv also comes up with a new model, since its based on sigmatek :)

Acutally I was thinking of doing the reverse.. buying the Mediaplayer now and the DVD player later :)

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@Charan:

check this out Philips - DVD Players - Sound and vision - Home video

Checking.. I went through a couple of players, one BD player was impressive but didnt have component out.

alright. so you have an HD monitor ? or you do you want to run it on your CRT TV ?

for the CRT, will be buying HDTV after April (Income Tax) :( , Though I have a HD monitor, I wont be using it with it.

Check out Onida HDR 5533 Atom DVD Player(Black). The website is 'under construction', so you might have to google for specs. I got one a few months back. It has mkv container, HDMI, USB, 5.1 channel, optical audio, and more.

Checked, specs looks good. will check review. Onida Products were awesome many years ago.. but now I am not sure of the same.

Top Bottom