Dual Quad-Core Mac Pro Around the Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
Apple UK Store leaks out early details of the eight-core Mac Pro
*images.dailytech.com/frontpage/fp__fp__macpro_icon.jpg

Apple is preparing a dual quad-core Mac Pro according to an accidental listing on the Apple UK Store website. The listing, which Apple promptly found and removed, revealed the quad-core Mac Pro in search results when users searched for “Mac.” The quick description listed the Mac Pro as “Now quad-core or 8-core processing power. Configure yours today.”

Apple launched the Mac Pro, completing the PowerPC to Intel transition, last August. The Mac Pro featured dual Intel Xeon E5100-series processors paired with FB-DIMM memory. Shortly after the Mac Pro launch, users were able to swap in quad-core Clovertown processors without any hassle. Mac Pros ran flawlessly with dual quad-core Xeons without any BIOS updates or trickery.

At CES, Intel demonstrated its proof-of-concept V8 gaming system to counter AMD’s QuadFX enthusiast platform built from workstation parts. Intel’s V8 concept demonstrated the plausibility of a dual quad-core gaming-capable workstation.

It is unknown when quad-core Intel Xeon E5300-series processors will grace Apple’s Mac Pro.

Source

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
I have a Mac Pro with 2 dual-core Xeon processors, so I won't be investing in an another for at least another year.

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
I bought it for 2 lakhs, from abroad. My Pro's config is near to the "minimum recommended" one, just a little better. Here are the specs:

*img03.picoodle.com/img/img03/7/2/17/f_signaturenem_32e6681.gif

Last edited:
OP
Ankur Gupta

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
nepcker said:
I bought it for 2 lakhs, from abroad. My Pro's config is near to the "minimum recommended" one, just a little better. Here are the specs:

*img03.picoodle.com/img/img03/7/2/17/f_signaturenem_32e6681.gif

Minimum Recommended for what??
This is a pretty decent(read awesome;) ) configuration....

faraaz

Evil Genius
I'm guessing some sort of server, and/or graphics workstation...you could render a whole CG movie on that thing...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
faraaz said:
I'm guessing some sort of server, and/or graphics workstation...you could render a whole CG movie on that thing...

Nope. just for example, it took 1000 computers 17 hrs to render 1 frame of the Movie Cars.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
No need to guess which computers they were! ;)

nepcker, how much did the display cost you? I really really want to buy one. I am sure the two lac amount does not include the price of the display, right?

ankurgupta.me, he meant to say that it is just about the lowest end configuration available for the Mac Pro. A tad higher than that. No need to be shocked, these Mac Pros are monster machines. :)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
@npecker, What do you use that thing for? Browsing the internet? :D

And you have very little RAM on your machine. C'mon, man! It supports up to 16 GB of RAM. You should at least have four. :)

OP
Ankur Gupta

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
aryayush said:
ankurgupta.me, he meant to say that it is just about the lowest end configuration available for the Mac Pro. A tad higher than that. No need to be shocked, these Mac Pros are monster machines. :)

I am not surprised at the configuration but at the fact that such a config could be a "low end" config for some kind of desktop PC!

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
Minimum Recommended for what??
I don't know, maybe for decent performance. My Pro's performance's is similar to that, just more RAM, more hard disk, and a bigger display.

how much did the display cost you? I really really want to buy one. I am sure the two lac amount does not include the price of the display, right?
Actually, I lied about the display - I just have a 23-inch Cinema Display. And yes, the cost doesn't include the cost of the monitor. The 30-inch display costs little over 1 lakh while the 23-inch costs significantly less.

What do you use that thing for? Browsing the internet?
I mainly use it for Photoshop editing and some iMovie HD movies. To surf the internet, I use my old PC (as I don't want to throw my P4 machine).

And you have very little RAM on your machine. C'mon, man! It supports up to 16 GB of RAM. You should at least have four.
I'm not in a position to buy more RAM. I almost got bankrupt while buying the pro, that I'm forced on using the old versions of softwares (I use Photoshop 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom