Dual Monitor set up help, Please!!

sam.dg

Broken In
1. I have one HD monitor with one VGA port and one HDMI port.
It is connected to a PC via the On-board VGA port.

2. I also have an old CRT monitor, lying around, gathering dust.
It has only one VGA port.

• Now, my question is - if I get a graphics card for my PC and hook up my HD monitor to the graphics card VGA port and connect the old CRT monitor via the On-board VGA port, is it possible to get a dual monitor set up?

Or, do I need any converter or anything alike?

I'm trying to set up my PC like this -

Monitor 1: Graphics Card - VGA
Monitor 2: On-board - VGA

The HDMI port of the monitor should remain untouched as it is connected to a PS3 all the time!

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
as far as i know you can not get output from onboard & dedicated graphics card simultaneously(remember the graphics adapter setting in bios in which you have to select dedicated/onboard to disable other).

OP
sam.dg

sam.dg

Broken In
Can I use a VGA to DVI adapter to connect the CRT monitor via graphics card DVI port and get the dual monitor set up?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
only if your graphics card has dvi-a or dvi-i output(both have digital+analogue output) since dvi-d is only digital & will not work with analogue vga port.check your card specs.also some graphics card don't support dual monitor setup with dvi & dvi to vga adapter so again check your cards capabilities/specs as it should be mentioned how it supports multi monitor setup(can use wikipedia too).

OP
sam.dg

sam.dg

Broken In
only if your graphics card has dvi-a or dvi-i output(both have digital+analogue output) since dvi-d is only digital & will not work with analogue vga port.check your card specs.also some graphics card don't support dual monitor setup with dvi & dvi to vga adapter so again check your cards capabilities/specs as it should be mentioned how it supports multi monitor setup(can use wikipedia too).

Thanks for the info.

I'm looking forward to buy nvidia Geforce GT 610 and the display support specifications for the card listed are -

• Multi Monitor - Yes
  • Maximum Digital Resolution - 2560x1600
  • Maximum VGA Resolution - 2048x1536
  • HDCP - Yes
  • HDMI - Yes
  • Standard Display Connectors - 1Dual Link DVI-I, HDMI, VGA
  • Audio Input for HDMI - Internal

It should work with an adapter right?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
a dvi to vga adapter should work fine with provided dvi-i port on GT 610.though be ready to configure lots of settings because both monitors are entirely different resolution wise.

OP
sam.dg

sam.dg

Broken In
I'll be using the 23" 1920x1080 monitor as the application window. and the 17" 1280x1024 monitor as watching videos/browsing etc.
Will it trouble me much?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i don't have any experience with multi monitor setup but maybe you can find some useful info here to get a basic idea:
Dual monitor setup with different resolutions?

Top Bottom