Dual Channel???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay4u

In the zone
thanks buddy... seams like i need to go buy another 512 mn transcend.... i was going to buy it anyways....

And what about the dual sided ram vs. the single sided ram chip.....

Kniwor

Learner
Ringwraith said:
@Kniwor
Yeah, memory benchmarking will definitely show the differences. The only thing which I wanted to point out was that, the memory bandwidth is very seldom a limitation in everyday work, unless ofcourse you do stuff which taxes the memory subsystem like video encoding/high res gaming. In most cases, the system is bottlenecked by the disk transfer rate, filesystem or the sheer number crunching power of the processor.

What if i have integrated graphics that share the memory, itś very important to have high transfer rates, and dual channel is really helpful then.

as u agree that there is a 30-40% increase in memory performance, it is helpful in ways. Now let the third person decide if he wants to get a dual channel or not.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
jay4u said:
And what about the dual sided ram vs. the single sided ram chip.....
Dual Inline Memory Modules (DIMM) have 64bit data path whereas a SIMM has only 32bit data path. I don't think there are many simms around with recent processors.

jay4u

In the zone
OKIE... SIRIUSB... DUAL INCLINE MEMORY MEANS HAVING IC CHIPS ON BOTH SIDES OF MMEMORY CHIPS RIGHT.... OR IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH RAM CHIP ARCHITECTURE...

PRETTY CONFUSED... I WANTED TO KNOW THAT IF I HAVE 2 RAM ONE WITH IC ONLY ON ONE SIDE ON IT AND ANOTHER WITH IC ON BOTH SIDES OF IT... THEN WHICH ONE SHOULD I GO FOR....

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Hmm...AFAIK, SIMMs came only for EDO rams, so you can treat that ram module u have as a dimm. As far as DIMM is concerned, two-sides of memory is not important, rather, the data path should be 64 bits. That is, the two sides of the module must have it's own contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom