Dual Channel RAM Setup Query

karthikmlore

The Multi-Decision Mogul
I have a Dell Inspiron 14R laptop with 3rd Gen Core i5 and 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM on one slot. There is 1 RAM slot left so I've planned to upgrade it to 8GB by putting another 4GB stick there.

The problem is, the RAM on the laptop has a latency of 11-11-11-28. What I plan to purchase from Flipkart is G.Skill 4GB 1600MHz RAM with latency of 9-9-9-28.

So as you can see, there is a latency difference and the RAM is of different brand (i.e, Dell 4GB + G.Skill 4GB)..

Will I face any problem...? Or will the new G.Skill RAM run at a higher latency 11-11-11-28 because of the Dell RAM..???

Any other suggestions..??

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
Both RAM sticks will work but not in Dual Channel mode. And yes you guessed right G.Skill will scale itself to low performance latency of 11-11-11-28 to match your Dell RAM.
For getting memory sticks to work in dual channel they need to have same speed, latency and capacity. You can get some good explanation about this at Everything You Need to Know About the Dual-, Triple-, and Quad-Channel Memory Architectures | Hardware Secrets
IMO you should go ahead with below 2 options

1. Buy 8GB G.Skill kit (matched pair ... i.e. 4GB x 2 sticks directly for dual channel)
or
2. Buy another 4GB 11-11-11-28 stick from Dell which will not be obviously a matched one but in 90% of the cases same sticks from same manufactures with same latency and speed will work in dual channel mode.

Apart from this... why do you want to have 8GB of memory on Dell14R ?

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^^ Very nicely explained. No need to say anything more here.
If the rep system was there, you would have received a rep point from me.

Top Bottom