Dual Channel DDR RAM help needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
Hey guyz , I am using an intel original d915gav mobo and i have 2 x 256 (512) mb ddr ram (400 mhz) installed in dual channel mode.Both these 256 mb modules are exactly identical and from the same company.

Now since i can install more RAM i am thinking of buying 2 more IDENTICAL 256 mb modules for my mobo but from another manufacturer and ofcourse their latencies are not the same as the RAM that i am using at present. I want to know if my system will support this total of 1 GB of RAM installed in dual channel mode.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Well i can tell you about my system i have 2x 256 DDR 400 Zion on channel A and 2x256DDR 400 Kingston on Channel B all working at Latency of 2.5 no problems only draw back all dimm slots are full (ASUS P4P800) So It will work the latency of the Slowest RAM is used.

indro

In the zone
after installing , use the CPUZ or other information or benchmarking programs to check whether its actually working in DUAL CHANNEL or not .

OP
mohit

mohit

The Hardware Labs
Are you sure that the latencies of the slowest RAM will be used ? Because the RAM that i am using rite now is pathetic and is from some local company i think named XTREME . the new ones i am planning to buy are from Kingston. So if the latencies of the old ones are going to be used i dont think it will be worth it. Please confirm and lemme know.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hey guys can u tell me the difference between DDR2RAM, DDR RAM and DDR3 RAM (if there is any by this name???) :?

currently i am using a 256 MB DDR RAM on my INTEL 865 GBF mobo with a P-4 ,2Ghz processor and an nVIDIA Ge Force FX 5200, 256 MBDDR RAM GRAPHICS CARD.

Is it correct time to upgrade to a DDR2 RAM Or any higher?? 256 MB RAM module !! and wat r the approx. prices of these modules.I am residing at Mumbai.

thanx, cheers n peace. :p

OP
mohit

mohit

The Hardware Labs
Aashu your intel D865GBF doesnt support DDR2 or DDR3 RAM. DDR2 is the emerging new standard of DDR RAM which has greater clockspeeds than the current DDR and also consumes less power. About DDR3 well it is the next generation RAM which hasnt yet been launched for desktops as of now. It will be even better than DDR2. All you can do is increase the amount of DDR Ram you have and make sure you buy 400Mhz DDR Ram if at all you are looking forward to install more RAM for your machine. Also make sure you use it in DUAL Channel Mode which is supported by your motherboard.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hey thanx Mohit well yes i wanna increase the RAM on my system but how can i find out wats the MHz of the current RAM that i am using as well as while buying the new RAM for my system.?? also how can i use the DUAL CHANNEL MODE !! :? (i am a novice yaar so dont know much)

ur reply will be surely helpful.

thanx, cheers n peace.. :p

OP
mohit

mohit

The Hardware Labs
Hey aashu , well for checking the clockspeed of the current RAM that you are having , goto your BIOS and check in the Memory Options. It will tell you the frequency of your RAM . For buying new RAM just ask the shopkeeper for PC 3200 (400 Mhz) DDR RAM. To check the new RAM again (after installation) goto ur BIOS and check it. For dual channel mode , you will need exactly identical modules of the same brand. Install the identical modules in the RAM slots according to the colour of the slots. Your Intel D865GBF is having color coded DIMM slots maybe they 1 pair will be black in color and the other in Blue color (I am not exactly sure) . Install the identical pairs of RAM modules in the same color slots. See , if your old RAM modules are exactly identical just install them in the Blue (For example) slots and the new modules that you are going to buy install them in the Black slots. This will give Dual Channel configuration. When you have successfully configured your RAM in dual channel mode , the system will display that your RAM is in dual channel mode when you start your machine. Keep looking at the screen.

Go here for a detailed guide,
*www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-009033.htm

naveenpoddar

Journeyman
hey friends which will give better performance (keeping in mind money spend also)

1. INSTALLING A SINGLE CHANNEL 512 DDR 3200 RAM

OR

2. INSTALLING A DUAL CHANNEL 2 * 256 DDR 3200 RAM

I have Amd 64 3000+ (939) with Msi RS480 mobo, 80 gb hdd, 350 watts SMPS.

OP
mohit

mohit

The Hardware Labs
Hey aashu......ofcourse the dual channel configuration that you have specified will give u better perfomance and i strongly suggest going for dual channel RAM. Just chek if ur mobo supports it. Also there is 1 more advantage of going for a dual channel configuration and buying two modules , suppose 1 module fails , u can still use the system with the other and u wont get stranded. The price difference shoud be about 500 rupees between the single 512 mb pc 3200 module and 2*256 mb pc 3200 modules. I suggest you go for the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom