Dual Boot with Original Windows version - How much would that help?

eagercyber

Broken In
Hi,

I have a Lenovo 3000 Y500 Laptop - Intel (R) Core (TM)2 CPU with T5300 @ 1.73 GHz, 2 GB RAM (authentic Windows 7 Ultimate OS (32 bit). The original laptop had Windows Vista Home Basic. I upgraded the OS when I had a crash with Vista Home Basic while attempting to install SP1 for Vista.

After up-gradation, I have had constant issues with drivers mainly with DVD drive. It doesn't even recognize many of the formats which were fine with Vista Home Basic. Shows discs as blank! Can't even watch movies too :-(. Also it doesn't even recognize my LG mobile phone as a phone :lol:!

Recently I tried installing Baraha (Indian language editing software - authentic) through the DVD. It did not recognize it! A service center guy installed successfully through external DVD drive. That started to have BSODs (Blue Screen of Death) whenever I tried to open notepad, PDF etc. It gave win32.dll error codes too! But I was able to open the browser and even play games for days! All service center guys insisted that the only solution is a complete format and new installation! I was not ready as I had some expensive software no longer available! But as a last trial, I uninstalled Baraha and all BSODs stopped. So my conclusion is that for my hardware, I don't have proper drivers for Win 7 Ultimate. I tried everywhere, but Lenovo driver support is pathetic! One experienced person told me that this is a common issue with Lenovo laptops especially when you upgrade the OS!

When I gave a scan with Lenovo Drivers Update Utility, it showed a big list of 'out-of-date' drivers. Is it safe to buy and install for all my future needs?

Recently one friend suggested that I go for Dual Boot mode with Vista Home Basic additionally! He is confident that after that my DVD drive would recognize and play the discs fine!

Please give me your opinions/suggestions. If I can get drivers compatible for my HW and Win 7 Ult, please suggest the ways too!

Last edited:
Top Bottom