DSL connection problem in Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

pradeepbp

A human, I use Ubuntu
Recently I installed the latest version of Ubuntu. I used pppoeconf to configure BSNL's DSL broadband connection. Things were working fine till yesterday. Then suddenly the net connection started getting disconnected automatically every 5 minutes or so. After getting disconnected, automatic re-connection happens in a short time. Since my machine is dual boot, I tried winxp and found that the connection is stable in it. But i love to work with ubuntu. What could be the possible solutions for this problem?

OP
pradeepbp

pradeepbp

A human, I use Ubuntu
"network-manager" and related dependencies :p

huh, so is this 'network-manager' not of much use later? or is it possible to correct this by changing some configuration settings?

Does tinkering with something called lcp solve this; i saw a reference to this among the output of 'plog' in terminal after the connection was terminated?

Last edited:

cool_techie_tvm

Ambassador of Buzz
Hey this is interesting. My doubt, this network-manager thingy doesnt have anything to do with our connectivity? I am connected through router mode, can i safely uninstall this once and forever?

Replies appreciated as usual ... :)

OP
pradeepbp

pradeepbp

A human, I use Ubuntu
Hey this is interesting. My doubt, this network-manager thingy doesnt have anything to do with our connectivity? I am connected through router mode, can i safely uninstall this once and forever?

Replies appreciated as usual ... :)

are u connected to bsnl broadband? haven't you faced the problem similar to me ?

iNFiNiTE

The cake is a lie!!!
Try running the 'sudo pppoeconf' again, it will be alright. This used to happen with me, but not anymore.
Though this doesn't happen very often, but whenever it does, running the command helps.

drsubhadip

In the zone
i m using ubuntu 8.04 now connected to bsnl broadband.....
go to .....sudo pppoeconf...
then follow the routine...

then type in terminal.... pon dsl-provider...
then net will be connected..
to disconnect...type in terminal....poff dsl-provider....

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
Hi pradeep...

Forgot Ubuntu... try Mandriva 2008...
its fantastic, reliable and stable version..
excellent hardware recong. No.need to config for DSL/ADSL connection...it configure automatically...

praka123

left this forum longback
well,those choosing mandriva and all -one word rpm distros and package management is somewhat difficult.however easy you say... so Debian based like Ubuntu or Sidux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom