Drives not opening thro 'My Computer'

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasku

In the zone
Hello folks,

I had this bad virus on winxp+sp2, from pen dirves i think, and then run my anti virus sw and had this file deleted from all my partitions C,D,E,F,G,H.

I forgot as which file it deleted, think it had a .cmd extension not sure, anyways after that wenever i try to open any drive from my computer, it opens the 'Open with' dialogue box, rather than the drive.

I thot if i formatted and reinstalled windows, this would go away, so i did a fresh install of in winxp+sp2 on c:, the problem got fixed for C partition alone,

the other drives, still dont open thro My computer, and I cant format the other partitions, coz they have important data!

Pls help me, if I can get the drives to open thro my computer, rite now I have to use explorer, and browse my all my files...little annoying!

Thanks in advance.

motobuntu

Journeyman
do as suggested by pcenthu, and after that u can do a complete scan of ur system using nod32 trial version. hope this will definetly solve ur problem.

imageek

Journeyman
if you cant find an autorun in the root ,then snatch it out...
either use cmd to delte the file or
i mean go to the address bar ..
type <your drive>/autorun.inf ,clear all its contents
save it back

I believe this should solve the problem

OP
jasku

jasku

In the zone
if you cant find an autorun in the root ,then snatch it out...
either use cmd to delte the file or
i mean go to the address bar ..
type <your drive>/autorun.inf ,clear all its contents
save it back

I believe this should solve the problem

dude the file does not exist, or my antivirus deleted it, so shud i create a blank one and place it in the root? Will that help?

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
NO!!!!

the point is to remove a autorun.inf, not create new :D

I may have a solution. Go to explorer. Tools->Folder Options, File Types tab.

You can find two entries with extension "(NONE)" that is File Folder and Folder. You may not have two, but at least one will be there, with a folder's icon.

Well, how many ever you find, this is what to do:

click that name, click advanced. if there is an action called "open with" or anything other than the usual like antivirus, etc, anything suspicious, click it and press remove. Restart.

aadipa

Padawan
@jasku: Fresh install was not needed, but anyway a fresh windows is always faster. So congrats.. Keep it up-to-date, and use a good antivirus.

In case anyone else have same problem, give a shot to Flash Disinfector.

NOTE: It will create a hidden folder by name autorun.inf in root of drives. No need to delete it as it will prevent any future attacks which targets autorun functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom