double layerd dvd drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

ponzi

hw do i make out if my dvd drive is double layered or not?
im really confused..
and i heard frm smwhr dat vista premium/ultimate cms only in double layerd versions..is this so?

cn a normal dvd drive read a double layerd dvd!
plz help

regards..
ponzi

Jsut see how much space is reserved for it .If it is more than 6 gb that means it is dual layer.One more method just but chip of thismonth or the previous one.They provide dual layer dvd

Tech Geek

Wise Old Owl
siddharth_2463107 said:
Jsut see how much space is reserved for it .If it is more than 6 gb that means it is dual layer.One more method just but chip of thismonth or the previous one.They provide dual layer dvd
Chip provided a DualLayer DVD last month
Don't know about this month
How to see how much space is reseved for it??

Chip provided this month also and will provide everymonth.
And abt how to see the space reservation .I got this one :-First rememebr the size of ur harddisk i.e 80gb or something like this.Then see how many drives u have .I have 4.Then see how much the distribution must be .It should be 20gb(For 80gb hd) but i get 18.6 Gb that means ..........................
nearly 6-8gb is reserved for cd drive.This is just a tukka.

Tech Geek

Wise Old Owl
siddharth_2463107 said:
Chip provided this month also and will provide everymonth.
And abt how to see the space reservation .I got this one :-First rememebr the size of ur harddisk i.e 80gb or something like this.Then see how many drives u have .I have 4.Then see how much the distribution must be .It should be 20gb(For 80gb hd) but i get 18.6 Gb that means ..........................
I don't think so
Bcos i have a 20 GB hardisk
4 Partitons=18.5 GB
I have a combo drive

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
siddharth_2463107 said:
...And abt how to see the space reservation .I got this one :-First rememebr the size of ur harddisk i.e 80gb or something like this.Then see how many drives u have .I have 4.Then see how much the distribution must be .It should be 20gb(For 80gb hd) but i get 18.6 Gb that means ..........................
And ur tukka is wrong coz that 80 GB is calculated by dividing total MBs with 1000 but windows calculate it correctly i.e total MBs divided with 1024 (since 1024 MB = 1 GB) & that makes that difference.

Tech Geek

Wise Old Owl
n2casey said:
And ur tukka is wrong coz that 80 GB is calculated by dividing total MBs with 1000 but windows calculate it correctly i.e total MBs divided with 1024 (since 1024 MB = 1 GB) & that makes that difference.
You are right
this explanation was given in Jan magzine

n2casey

siddharth_2463107 said:
So how we will come to know that our dvd is dual layered or single layerd.
Very simple. Install Nero & use Nero Info Tool for information about ur CD/DVD-R/RW/RAM or CD/DVD/DLDVD Media.
Those who don't have Nero, download Nero Info Tool, it's just 353 KB in size.
Take a look at these screenshots

*img296.imageshack.us/img296/830/n0vq2.th.jpg

*img296.imageshack.us/img296/268/n1zm3.th.jpg In this scrshot, DL is for Dual Layer (checked only if ur DVD-RW supports Dual Layer Disc).

*img296.imageshack.us/img296/4235/n2ah8.th.jpg In this scrshot u can notice the numbers of the layers of DVD.

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
All DVD-ROM drives (maybe not the really really old ones) can read dual-layered disks. Most movies that one gets are dual layered save for a few Z-grade movies...

goobimama

 Macboy
^^ 110% sure it will read Dual layer discs. If you have popped in a movie and it played, then it can read...and if it can't, then you got cheated...

goobimama

 Macboy
^^ most probably yes. But dual layer is pointless in India (as well as abroad). The cost of DL media is so high, one can get 5 single layer disks for the price of 1 DL...

n2casey

I have told a simple way to check whether ur DVD Drive supports dual layer or not but no one look there & still asking that his/her DVD Drive supports DL or not?? Strange..

Friends take a look at the solution given by me, & u can know details of ur DVD Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom