DON'T BUY A ULV CPU THEY SAID, It wont be good for gaming they said....

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
It's Crysis 3 we are talking about,it's everything intensive. xD
Just gonna test Absolution now and tell ya.

But this doesn't make any sense, RTS(COH2) and RPG(AC3) games are supposed to be more CPU intensive whereas FPS(COD,BF,Crysis)games are supposed to be more GPU intensive.

But the results here show to the contrary.

Yes, I did some research and found out that the Crysis 3 is a very CPU intensive game, even for desktop CPU's, do you have any other game that we can use to test ?

Farcry 3, BF3, COD 3, COD BO 2, BF 4, COD ghosts(the std FPS's) etc ?

I have all of those except BF 3

So, please tell me, is this Dell Inspiron 15R 5537 better, or Lenovo Y510?

Y510p is obviously better.... Don't know why notebookcheck has underrated scores of i7 4702+ GT750M, but Y510p surely has better CPU & GPU

ULV is not bad for gaming, its just that its overpriced..... i5 4200M is better than i7 4500U but in normal usage you won't feel any difference. Few people have showed how i7 3632QM is even better than i7 4500U

hybridic

Broken In
Also check if your CPU uses 15 watts of power .
In one case of Notebook check , that i7 was just set to 10watts by dell and thus its turbo clock was limited to 1.9 GHz .But I dont know if its safe to increase.

Take a look in this text.
i7.jpg

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I bought the Dell Inspiron 15R a month ago

Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop - Mainstream laptops from Dell

I asked around the forum for advice and everybody criticized the above laptop for its ULV haswell I7, but being an IT engineer myself I was convinced about the gaming capabilities of this laptop and decided to go for it.

Specs are As follows

Proccy : Intel Core I7-4500U

Ram : 8 GB DDR3

and the best part

GPU : 128 bit/2 GB AMD RADEON 8850M DDR5

Now to try out the gaming capabilities of this machine, I downloaded the popular RTS game released this year COMPANY OF HEROES 2 and did a performance test

Here are the results

*i.imgur.com/yDt7cOT.png

*i.imgur.com/D4cpUPY.png

And here are the results of some other systems to compare

*i.imgur.com/qLfK6Os.jpg

So to sum up my system with a "ULV CPU" produced better FPS than a 4700MQ/750M system and a 4702HQ/750M system.:razz::razz::razz:

and all this along with a stellar battery life of 6+ hrs !!!

I would say ...."IN YOUR FACE ULV CPU CRITICS" :cool::cool::cool:

HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN A ULV CPU EQIPPED SYSTEM PRODUCING BETTER FPS THAN A QUAD CORE EQUIPPED SYSTEM ???

Cheers!
Abhijit

umm u have misunderstood the ulv thing as a whole, people only say 3rd gen intel ulvs arent powerful ,the 4th gen ulv i5s and i7s are amazing no one can deny that plus these cpus are even used in mid range gaming laptops 50k+
btw imprressive benchmarks which u have posted
i have a 3210m myself in my inspiron 15R turbo and ur benchmarks come very close to mine and have much much better battery life and igpu

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Y510p is obviously better.... Don't know why notebookcheck has underrated scores of i7 4702+ GT750M, but Y510p surely has better CPU & GPU

ULV is not bad for gaming, its just that its overpriced..... i5 4200M is better than i7 4500U but in normal usage you won't feel any difference. Few people have showed how i7 3632QM is even better than i7 4500U

look at the driver..........that's ancient, probably 5 driver updates since that one.
The GT750m and Radeon 8850 are on almost equal terms in terms of performance and COH 2 is more of a GPU intensive game(more than Crysis 3).
Besides Nvidia Cards are extremely driver dependent. I'll give you an example.
I was on 311 driver and Dragon Age II gave 30 FPS on med, now on 331, I can easily play it on high with HBAO off, on med settings it now gives 45FPS, a difference of a whopping 15 FPS.

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
It's Crysis 3 we are talking about,it's everything intensive. xD
Just gonna test Absolution now and tell ya.

I have all of those except BF 3
AFAIK, Hitman Absolution is another very CPU intensive game, just try a standard Fps ...COD ghosts, Farcry 3, Bf 4

Anyways do absolution lets see

priyankgupta

Journeyman

Well, my primary tasks would be developing (NetBeans+Eclipse+Visual Studio) and gaming(mostly, NFS). Moreover Dell has an additional advantage of touch display, while Y510p lacks this. But Y510p has 1080 screen + backlit keyboard + better CPU GPU config.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Well, my primary tasks would be developing (NetBeans+Eclipse+Visual Studio) and gaming(mostly, NFS). Moreover Dell has an additional advantage of touch display, while Y510p lacks this. But Y510p has 1080 screen + backlit keyboard + better CPU GPU config.

Touch!!??? :O
I see that's where Abhijeet's extra 6k went, mine is without touch but same configs.

Alright, time for BF 4 results.
Everything:- Ultra
AA:-4xMSAA(max)
Resolution scale:-100%(half of max)(if this is maxed then Inspiron 15 gives 7 FPS)
Res:- 1366x768(60 Hz)

Inspiron 15:- 17-25 FPS.
Y500(overclocked GT 650m upto 922 Mhz core and memory stays at 2688MHz)(still slower than GT750m):- 20-30 FPS

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Touch!!??? :O
I see that's where Abhijeet's extra 6k went, mine is without touch but same configs.

Alright, time for BF 4 results.
Everything:- Ultra
AA:-4xMSAA(max)
Resolution scale:-100%(half of max)(if this is maxed then Inspiron 15 gives 7 FPS)
Res:- 1366x768(60 Hz)

Inspiron 15:- 17-25 FPS.
Y500(overclocked GT 650m upto 922 Mhz core and memory stays at 2688MHz)(still slower than GT750m):- 20-30 FPS

Yep, thats where my money went :)

Just curious, which tool are you using to measure FPS.

Also, I have COD BO 2 and BF 3 , so I will try and post some benchmarks

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Fraps.
I tried CoD:MW 3 too, 40 FPS on both.
CoD:MW 3 runs better on Y500 using an older driver as I clearly remember completing the game on 60 FPS using an earlier forceware.

hybridic

Broken In
Check if your Dell's i7 is using correct TDP ( 15 watts ) . Notebookcheck says some dell laptops are set to 10 watt and therefore the processor goes to turbo mode for only 30 secs and then remains around base clocks . I dont know whether its safe to manually increase the TDP but you can take a look in this text in image :

i7.jpg

umm u have misunderstood the ulv thing as a whole, people only say 3rd gen intel ulvs arent powerful ,the 4th gen ulv i5s and i7s are amazing no one can deny that plus these cpus are even used in mid range gaming laptops 50k+
btw imprressive benchmarks which u have posted
i have a 3210m myself in my inspiron 15R turbo and ur benchmarks come very close to mine and have much much better battery life and igpu

That's what we guys are also saying.......... a 4th gen i7 4500U is equivalent to i5 3210M.......... That i5 is much cheaper than the i7 4500U
So its better to get i5 3230M+GT740M than i5 4200U+GT740M

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
That's what we guys are also saying.......... a 4th gen i7 4500U is equivalent to i5 3210M.......... That i5 is much cheaper than the i7 4500U
So its better to get i5 3230M+GT740M than i5 4200U+GT740M

yeah give the 3230M combo u mentioned a higher capacity battery like a 9 cell or something and u wont feel the need to get a i7 4500U just seeing better battery life
My 3210M is a beast but i have a six cell battery atm hopefully ill get a 9 cell soon
it gives me 6 hours roughly when browsing with everything turned down and 1.5-2hrs while playing cpu demanding games like minecraft
if i play skyrim or crisis 3 it gives me an hour with everything turned to ultra
people tell me i should have spend 70k on a desktop coz its more powerful and vfm but im happier with my current setup which hasnt been bottlenecked etc ever yet :cool:

btw all ulv cpus suffer in games like gta 4,unreal tournament , skyrim when more cpu power is needed so id still go with the 3230M/3210M coupled with a 6 or even 9 cell

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
yeah give the 3230M combo u mentioned a higher capacity battery like a 9 cell or something and u wont feel the need to get a i7 4500U just seeing better battery life
My 3210M is a beast but i have a six cell battery atm hopefully ill get a 9 cell soon
it gives me 6 hours roughly when browsing with everything turned down and 1.5-2hrs while playing cpu demanding games like minecraft
if i play skyrim or crisis 3 it gives me an hour with everything turned to ultra
people tell me i should have spend 70k on a desktop coz its more powerful and vfm but im happier with my current setup which hasnt been bottlenecked etc ever yet :cool:

btw all ulv cpus suffer in games like gta 4,unreal tournament , skyrim when more cpu power is needed so id still go with the 3230M/3210M coupled with a 6 or even 9 cell

You are gonna get a massive hit to performance if you game on battery. Even the i74500u took a hit.... A whopping 10 fps in crysis 3

Akash Nandi

Journeyman
man... no offence... but a ulv processor will take a dive if it has to play a cpu intensive game. its clocked only 1.8 and on top of tht... cpus rarely turbo while gaming.. so u'll hit bottleneck right there. take 2 identical gpu and play cpu intensive games with a i5 M series and the other with i7 ulv series and you'll find that the i5 one will fare better.

I bought the Dell Inspiron 15R a month ago

Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop - Mainstream laptops from Dell

I asked around the forum for advice and everybody criticized the above laptop for its ULV haswell I7, but being an IT engineer myself I was convinced about the gaming capabilities of this laptop and decided to go for it.

Specs are As follows

Proccy : Intel Core I7-4500U

Ram : 8 GB DDR3

and the best part

GPU : 128 bit/2 GB AMD RADEON 8850M DDR5

Now to try out the gaming capabilities of this machine, I downloaded the popular RTS game released this year COMPANY OF HEROES 2 and did a performance test

Here are the results

*i.imgur.com/yDt7cOT.png

*i.imgur.com/D4cpUPY.png

And here are the results of some other systems to compare

*i.imgur.com/qLfK6Os.jpg

So to sum up my system with a "ULV CPU" produced better FPS than a 4700MQ/750M system and a 4702HQ/750M system.:razz::razz::razz:

and all this along with a stellar battery life of 6+ hrs !!!

I would say ...."IN YOUR FACE ULV CPU CRITICS" :cool::cool::cool:

HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN A ULV CPU EQIPPED SYSTEM PRODUCING BETTER FPS THAN A QUAD CORE EQUIPPED SYSTEM ???

Cheers!
Abhijit

the snapshot you posted is a classic example of GPU bottleneck. It has nothing to do with the CPU.

Notebookcheck.net uses ancient drivers, those are extremely outdated and they don't bother to update.
Gt650m is running at 922MHz core and and 4687Mhz memory.(default 790Mhz and 4000Mhz)(lower than 750m)
I can't overclock above core +135Mhz because it's locked by the bios and even +135Mhz is unstable in my case.

Edit:- Sorry memory clock was only 1344Mhz and even still it was under only 50% load.
Clock speed was 922.7Mhz and GPU load=99%

want me to OC the 8850? :p

Stupid Dell locked the cores for 8850 at 600Mhz(core).
This thingy is gonna need a custom bios flash(ain't gonna do that).

Edit 2:-
GT 750m in notebook check net @30.6FPS uses slow DDR3 memory
GDDR5 is 48FPS, dammit I am still not getting so high scores.
Notebookcheck.net gives even lower scores to 8850 crysis 3 test @28.8FPS

BTW my Dell is a bit different from yours.
Mine is Dell Inspiron 15 and not 15R.
The difference is only the cover, mine is scratch proof but dull looking, yours is shiny.
Specs are same, i7 4500U , 8GB Ram, AMD Radeon 8850 2GB.
Mine cost 60k+10k(3 years extended warranty, total= 4 years)

The Y500 (i7 3630qm+750M) easily handles +135mhz/+300mhz core/mem on stock voltage in my case without BIOS mods.
The notebookcheck ppl use really old drivers.
I will post some 1058mhz core+5000mhz mem crysis 3 some time with latest driver and 8.1 Pro and also with normal OC 1190mhz core and 5500-6000mhz mem.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
For every laptop the stable OC clock speed is different.... Mine crashes if I do +135 and +1000
Mine is stable at +135 and +687.
Just you wait..... I'll post OC GT650m sli benchmarks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom