Don't be surprised if Apple TV turns out to be the next big thing for Apple.

So what do you think?

• Apple released which product that does what!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandeepk

Journeyman
Apple TV original (without any hack) has so many limitations that it becoming the next big thing for Apple is pretty less possibility.

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
Check *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59202

Besides, Apple will provide free updates for Apple TV which will expand its capabilities

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gx_saurav said:
Oh! I can just imagine how much users will like to see a 320X240 Youtube video at a 25" TV or above :D
I am sure you wouldn't have held this opinion if it was Microsoft that had come out with this device. And I am one hundred percent sure Microsoft would never ever have given away such a huge feature away for free even to existing customers without promising to do so beforehand.

Oh, and BTW, I am sure people who buy this device would be ready to do a bit of a compromise for the convenience of watching YouTube so conveniently. It is amazing how much fun YouTube's original videos can be even if they aren't recorded using the best camcorders.

goobimama

 Macboy
@GX: You seriously think a Media Center PC would cost anything less than $500? First of all there's the cost of the OS itself ($300 for Home Premium?). Then there's the hardware. Then there's the network configurations (and that's no way, no way as simply as configuring Mac OS X).

15k is more than reasonable in my opinion, especially considering its size, form factor, aesthetics (looks good next to an HDTV), zero noise, and zero configuration. Add in the divx/Xvid support and its all good from there.

ATI XIllion Chip + TV Encoder from Philips/Conexent + WiFi Module from Conexent or Broadcom. There is nothing in Apple TV for which it required components of a PC. With these components, it would have easily decoded 1080p
You obviously haven't played any 1080p eh? And I'm not talking about those low bitrate, low compression one's, I'm talking about high bitrate, high compression x264 content...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I am sure you wouldn't have held this opinion if it was Microsoft that had come out with this device. And I am one hundred percent sure Microsoft would never ever have given away such a huge feature away for free even to existing customers without promising to do so beforehand.
Now that would be your personal comment, even I hate MS not giving HD DVD Drive as standerd in XBOX 360 but then again, it is a gaming console first.

And No, you are not correct. MS gave 1080p scaling, HD DVD support & what not XBOX 360 users via free system software updates, but I am sure you did not bothered to read those articles.
@GX: You seriously think a Media Center PC would cost anything less than $500? First of all there's the cost of the OS itself ($300 for Home Premium?). Then there's the hardware. Then there's the network configurations (and that's no way, no way as simply as configuring Mac OS X).

Um...goobi, do some research. Windows Media Centre PCs are OEM only. With Vista, MCE does comes with the OS but for that $500 you are getting a full computer which can play anything, any file....on any TV, from any source. Try doing that with Apple TV

15k is more than reasonable in my opinion, especially considering its size, form factor, aesthetics (looks good next to an HDTV), zero noise, and zero configuration. Add in the divx/Xvid support and its all good from there.
Try telling that to someone who owns a HDTV.:D

"This is Apple TV, it costs 15k but comes without a HD DVD drive or DVD drive. It required you to purchse & setup a wireless connection with your PC in that room, so that you can see only H.264 content playable in iTunes on your Living room HDTV. Nothing else will play, unless you open this device of 15K, violating the warrenty & hack it with moded firmware or hacks, which might or might not work. If it doesn't works, chances are you will end up with a dead Apple TV cos since u opened it yourself Apple will not repair or repalce it for U. They might do it, by charging Rs 3k or 4k more. So when are you opening it to hack it so that it can play DivX files & all the files you downloaded Via torrent?" :D
You obviously haven't played any 1080p eh? And I'm not talking about those low bitrate, low compression one's, I'm talking about high bitrate, high compression x264 content..
Obviously U don't know what ATI Xillion Processor is made for, right :D

ECE0105

In the zone
Well Well Well,

After Reading about this and all the posts. I don't really think anyone is going to buy this stuff except the Apple lovers (Fanboys, I think u call them)..

Well guys, I do admire Apple for their Creative products and in Love with my iPOD, but u fanboys are really making it hard for people.

Do u guys think any sane person would Invest good money on a product and then spend hours(if not days) on the internet to search for a hack and then Hack that thing so that u can utilize it to the fullest?

Interpreting a flaw as a great feature (to increase your technical capability) is not for the avg. user.

My parents are happy with a normal DVD player. Just pop in a DVD and press Play and bingo... They do not even know what a DIVx format is... Do they really need to? All that matters is, did they watch the movie or not.
So, trying a Hack to install VLC Player(They don't know wat this is either) to play different formats is stupidity.
Infact, when in the mood for a movie, I myself wudn't want to be spending time on these stuff. I really doubt, if you fanboys wud too....

And yes, the part I liked the most is : Apple TV Supports Youtube...

I sure would like to meet a fool, who invests in a HDTV and then watches those small (320X240 as someone said it) videos from youtube on it...

I really don't think it is about M$ or Apple, but it is about the Price:Feature Ratio....

P.S. : A humble request to the Mods and Admins... Please move any post regarding an Apple Product to Fightclub, cos, that is what such a post turns to :D

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gx_saurav said:
And No, you are not correct. MS gave 1080p scaling, HD DVD support & what not XBOX 360 users via free system software updates, but I am sure you did not bothered to read those articles.
Oh really? AFAIK, Xbox 360s come with an HD DVD drive standard. Why would Microsoft need a software update to enable something that is already there? :confused:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
aryayush said:
Oh really? AFAIK, Xbox 360s come with an HD DVD drive standard. Why would Microsoft need a software update to enable something that is already there? :confused:

:ROFL: :D

Go to XBOX.com & read the pages again boy. Why don't u do some simple research before saying anything.

XBOX 360 comes with a Standerd DVD-9 Drive, while the HD DVD drive is an addon, if u want it then buy it, if you don't then don't buy it. Simple. They are not imposing something on U.

goobimama

 Macboy
True. I had not heard of the ATI Xilleon chip till now. But as it turns out, not many have. I googled it, and even searched the hdbits (the best HD tracker with some real experts on HD) and there was not one mention of the ATi Xilleon.

However, on this site (*www.linuxdevices.com/products/PD4781682328.html), it does mention the chip. Seems good, but its nothing more than a slightly powerful set top box capable of oh ho, yeah huh, MPEG 2 decoding! Even a celeron can play MPEG2 1080p.

And as for converting video to h264, its so very simple. Just Quicktime > Export > Apple TV. Like I said, this device is NOT for any geek (other than an Apple fan, or one who doesn't mind hacking into it). Its for those who have no clue as to what IP addresses are and what ports to use. Plug and play. I certainly won't be buying this...

Last edited:
OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gx_saurav said:
:ROFL: :D

Go to XBOX.com & read the pages again boy. Why don't u do some simple research before saying anything.

XBOX 360 comes with a Standerd DVD-9 Drive, while the HD DVD drive is an addon, if u want it then buy it, if you don't then don't buy it. Simple. They are not imposing something on U.
Yeah, whatever. So, what is Microsoft giving away for free here? I don't see anything.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
MSN Messenger support, online game play (normal xbox live)...umm, again, you mind doing some research first. My dinner is waiting

goobimama

 Macboy
^^ You seem to be new. These discussions are the sole reason why I visit this forum. Keeps the mind sharp. GX (to some extent iMav) we all have you to thank for this...

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
gx_saurav said:
MSN Messenger support, online game play (normal xbox live)...umm, again, you mind doing some research first. My dinner is waiting
That was advertised beforehand and was in the product by default. That is like saying that Apple gives Mac OS X free with their computers.

But I don't think Microsoft has ever given something (huge) away for free through a software update like Apple has already done thrice - Boot Camp, 802.11n Wi-Fi in Macs that had already been sold (sure, they had to charge two dollars due to legal ramifications but that doesn't really count) and now YouTube on the Apple TV.

LOL! The poll above gives me the impression that the funniest option gets the most votes. So, in future, I'll make sure that the option I would prefer to get votes for (in this case, the second one) is the one that's the wittiest of the lot. :lol:

J/k.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom