Don't be surprised if Apple TV turns out to be the next big thing for Apple.

So what do you think?

• Apple released which product that does what!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Hello! :)

*blog.wired.com/cultofmac/mac-nano-tm.jpg​

I think most people would agree with me when I say this that the Apple TV is a very simple and highly under powered device. It has extremely huge potential but for reasons unknown, Apple has sqashed it all and made the device a very basic way to get limited content from your computer to your TV. Yes, it is the simplest way to do it and has a beautiful interface to go along, but for the extremely limited set of things it does, it should have been a lot cheaper.

But, of course, Apple couldn't have made it cheaper because it is not just a set-top box. Under the hood, it is a computer running a fairly full fledged version of Mac OS X, the world's most advanced operating system. It ships complete with a processor, hard drive, motherboard, USB ports, Wi-fi, etc.

This brings us back to the problem of its being under-powered. So it is logical to surmise that if it were somehow possible to make the Apple TV do a lot more than it is capable of in its out-of-the-box state, but still retain its simplicity for those who are technologically challenged - it would strike a cord with a large number of consumers.

Turns out, this has already started happening. Since the Apple TV runs on a variation of OS X and is a full-fledged computer under the hood, it is infinitely hackable. As of this writing, the Apple TV already runs with standard television sets, the hard drive can be upgraded to facilitate a larger one and it can be controlled with the television remote. But the real improvements, the ones that can also be done by regular users of the machine, have been achieved on the software side.

Apple TV can run VLC media player which basically means that it can play just about every multimedia format out there. You can enable SSH and AFP, which are already present in the system, so that you can control it remotely. You can run Apache on it, though it sounds downright useless to turn your Apple TV into a web server. It is now possible to boot your Apple TV from an external USB drive. You can even run Joost, allowing you to get your TV shows onto the machine without needing to purchase them from the iTunes Store. I am sure that Miro (formerly known as Democracy Player) will soon be running on the Apple TV as well allowing you to get all sorts of video content through the BitTorrent network. There is a plug-in that allows the Apple TV to play non-iTunes content so you can store your media directly onto the hard drive and play them on the TV without the need to convert and import them into iTunes. And the latest development is that the Apple TV now has full support for external USB devices.

The best thing about these software hacks is that most of them do not even make you void your warranty. It has hardly been a month since the Apple TV was launched and it is doing a lot more than it was intended to already. It seems only a matter of time that Apple will also jump into the fray with software and firmware updates that could take the Apple TV above and beyond what it is capable of doing today.

Apple, like most other companies, suffers from the problem that the first generation of any product line is generally severely flawed. So it is hardly a strect to predict that the second generation of the Apple TV will be a lot better than its predecessor. But even right now, it is a very powerful machine that is very simple for people who want to get things done without any fuss, and is a veritable haven for those who are into all sorts of geekery and want to juice out every last drop of functionality out of the small box. Once these hacks are refined and made to work with perfection, the Apple TV will gain a lot more patrons and might start flying off the shelves, if the humungous amount of interest in the product even in its default state is any indication.

Taking all this into account, don't be surprised if it turns out that Apple purposely crammed in OS X into the device and made it very easy to open it up and mess with the hardware. This way, they have made sure than the Apple TV is a simple device that just works and also that the huge potential of the mahine does not remain untapped. The way I see it, the sky is the limit and the future is only brighter. :)

Please let me know your opinions.

Update: Apple TV can now be hacked to run the full fledged version of Mac OS X.

Last edited:
K

krazyfrog

I voted for the fifth option:D (actually i wanted to vote for the third:D:D:D:D)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
So many limitations & average joe won't hack it anyway. Why can't Apple just open up? Whats the problem in playing any video?

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
"average joe" would also like a simple way to get things done.

You should read this: The trouble with gee-whiz gadgets

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
How many formats does an iPod play? Fewer than the Apple TV.

Strange, I don't see many people complaining.

eddie

El mooooo
^ iPod plays MP3 (most popular format). Apple TV does not play Xvid/Divx (most popular format) files.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
OK, point. :)

But that is what my opinion piece was about. People who want to play everything will soon learn about these hacks and will install VLC media player on their box. As time goes by, these hacks will mature and become more and more easy to implement.
That is what I am saying. It has the potential to be a so so product, but it also has the potential to really take off in the market in a big way.

eddie

El mooooo
aryayush said:
But that is what my opinion piece was about. People who want to play everything will soon learn about these hacks and will install VLC media player on their box.
How many people do you think buy a good product and then hack through it to get what they want out of it? If people loved hacking to get things done, Linux would have replaced Windows on Desktops long time ago. You see people cribbing about installing codecs on Linux in a "tech forum"...that should give you a picture of the common users out there.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Apple TV is now running the full fledged installation of Mac OS X. As I was saying, it was only a matter of time.

It is now the cheapest Mac that has a lot more extensibility than your normal Mac, except the Power Mac. This little thing has absolutely immense potential.

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
I think the real Mac Nano is the iPhone .. runs OS X.

Anyway, I voted for the first. (Though I'm not going to buy it now!)

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
This is not a Fight Club topic. This is news.

Turning it into a fight will result in the usual consequences.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
News update

Apple TV now comes with a 160 GB hard drive and supports YouTube.

Steve Jobs also said that the iTunes Store will soon start selling HD content.

Cool. I might actually even want to buy one now if I ever buy an HDTV.

goobimama

 Macboy
Honestly speaking, this thing is worth it for people who have no idea about technology. For those who know how to do configurations and tweaking, one should look somewhere else, cause there are much more functional options out there only very difficult to use.

I don't think one can dare trying to decode a 1080p mkv HDrip on one of these...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
goobimama said:
Honestly speaking, this thing is worth it for people who have no idea about technology. For those who know how to do configurations and tweaking, one should look somewhere else, cause there are much more functional options out there only very difficult to use.
You have never used a Windows Media centre PC with media centre extender deivce, have u :D

I don't think one can dare trying to decode a 1080p mkv HDrip on one of these...
To be very frank, why Apple TV uses computer components is still unknown & weird. Everything Apple TV provides could have been done using simply an ATI XIllion Chip + TV Encoder from Philips/Conexent + WiFi Module from Conexent or Broadcom. There is nothing in Apple TV for which it required components of a PC. With these components, it would have easily decoded 1080p

A C2D based CPU, 256 MB RAM, GeForice 7300 Go is not required in Apple TV, to make it an iTunes extension at all. This is what makes it so costly. They try to run MacOS X (Excuse) everywhere where it is not even required.

Oh! I can just imagine how much users will like to see a 320X240 Youtube video at a 25" TV or above :D

Last edited:

adithyagenius

I WANT MORE FPS!!
My dad is doing fine with Vista Home premium laptop with 17" 16:9 screen with remote control and Media Centre. Also with K-Lite Mega codec he can play anything. He needed to be taught how to use the aspect ratios and touch window from outside /inside using right click menu ( damn Moser Baer guys record movies with black bands on top and bottom due to aspect ratio problem ). He just plugs his Bose music system in for better audio. It switches to hibernation when he closes the lid. If he wants streaming content he knows how to type the url in IE7. Also not forget the bandwidth still isnt cheap. If its unlimited its slow, if its 2 mbps its costly.
My point is that this is way more useful because he use the same thing for presentations using projector, check up spreadsheets and documents (office work) and most importantly carry it with him without the techness overwhelming him. Also, I can play HL2 on it with very high settings with high FPS (7600 Go).
My mother would not touch a thing as sophisticated as a PC or Apple TV. She cant use my N70 to answer a call if I am not there.
Not useful for most of the people in AP. It wont sell unless Apple leverages its style and its brands name to sell it at most importantly affordable prices and very affordable broadband comes to india. Else instead of selling like ipod it will sell like imac.
Sorry for any typos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom