Done my research... still not satisfied... need a good, sturdy, reliable laptop

avi996r

Broken In
Hi Guys

I am looking to purchase a laptop, and have done a lot of research on the subject, but am still not happy with the options available and am worried about after sales/ reliability in India.

Let me give a little background: In college, I bought a Thinkpad R60 which has been running very well for the last 4 years. Only recently, its hinge broke and I got it fixed and upgraded its RAM since it was only 512MB to 2.5GB now, to make it run faster.

Based on my *ahem* positive experience with Lenovo (Thinkpad), I bought my GF a Lenovo G460 laptop for B-School. Stupid me, I had to choose a model within 2 days and did not do my research properly. And I also had the misfortune of buying it through those cheats at E-Zone. The laptop has already had its motherboard replaced after 1 month, and now is showing battery problems. And since the laptop is to be used in Manipal, it is not easy to spare time and effort to get repairs in Mangalore, the closest service centre. Not to mention that the downtime which will be involved is completely not acceptable.

So, to cut a long story short, I am giving her my upgraded R60 as a backup model. And I need to get a new laptop for myself.

Being spoilt by the R60, I realized that my needs are:
1. A matte screen is preferred to reduce eye strain over long hours
2. It should be a matte case (Body) which is sturdy
3. I would like to get an extended 3 year warranty in the price
4. After sales and service of the company should be fast and good
5. I would want Windows OS preinstalled
6. The keyboard should preferable have a separate number pad on the sid (hence 15" models are preferred)
7. Keyboard and trackpad should be good quality
8. Body should be sturdy (like the Thinkpad)
9. Average battery life would do, more is a bonus
10. Not really looking to play games or edit videos, just work, internet and long hours of typing needed
11. Should NOT run hot (i.e should be cool and quiet)

My total budget is 50k (inclusive of the cost of extending warranty), But I can stretch it by 5k more if need be.

Of course, my horrible experience with Lenovo, not to mention the fact that a Thinkpad T410 costs 67k, has removed it from my list. No Sony model has matte screen in the price range, and I excluded HP, Compaq and Acer due to the horror storied I have heard about them. But then, I read on mouthshut and other consumer sites about almost each and every laptop model having problems.... in quality or service! What to do? It seems nothing works well these days... I don't know what to choose... frankly, I am royally p***ed off with the laptop makers. I mean, earlier, products would last a long time properly.

So, I have shortlisted the foll models. Remember, performance is not primary importance, as all are fast enough for my work. I have listed price, and pros and cons of each model:

1. Toshiba Tecra A11: 50k
Pros: Matte? Screen, Good Keyboard, Sturdy, Cool and QUiet, 3 year warranty
Cons: Toshiba service??? Warranty is not on-site but carry in

2. Asus B53J: 56k (as seen in CHIP)
Pros: Good build, keyboard, cool and quiet, matte screen,powerful
Cons: Not available in India. Asus people have no idea when it will be launched. And how are Asus laptop?

3. Dell Vostro 3400/3500: 48k (with 3 year warranty)
Pros: Known name (Dell), sturdy, on-site support, 7200RM HDD
Cons: says it heats up and runs loud. Also, not easily available with 3 year warranty from sellers, who don't seem to have a clue

4. Apple Macbook White (the outsider): 58k (1 year warranty)
Pros: GF likes the Macbook, Well made, reliable, sleek and fast
Cons: Only 1 year warranty, parts are expensive to replace, Apple service in India? Not a matte screen. Also, expensive.

5. Dell Inspiron 15R (The cheapskate alternative): 42k (3 year warranty)
Pros: Cheap, lots of people have inspirons, fast system
Cons: Reliability? Said to run hot and loud. Glossy screen, not as good keyboard as the above laptops.

So these are my current choices, and I hope that you guys can help me in selecting a good, stable and fuss-free model based on the requirement listed above. please feel free to add any more choices, and could someone please tell me how Toshiba, Asus or Apple's service in India is, for that would save me a lot of hassle.

Top Bottom