Does Open-source Mean Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

friend_sunit

Broken In
Hey i entered this forum thinking to get some information on Open Source Softwares.. But when i entered what did i find. I found threads only to LINUX

So, I start this thread for readers to inform others what type of open source softwares do they use.. I think everyone uses at least one or two. Please post on this thread.

borg

In the zone
Honestly, I don't even lnow why we have a separate section for opensource. Isn't opensource software just another piece of....software?.

mediator

Technomancer
U see linux threads cause majority of opensource softwares(whose code is available for modification) come under *nix which itself is opensource. So if u say u use linux....u are indirectly saying that u use 1000s of open source soft. that come bundled with linux distro.
Neways Xine,xmms and gedit are mah favourites and use them most often.

dabster

In the zone
Yeah, Open source is not just about linux.....(Though mainly we talk in context to it)
You can go to *theopencd.org project site from where you can download opensource (rather free software) for for proprietary operating system(read windows) also....find OpenOffice, Gimp,Gaim,Audacity and many more softwares for yr windows comp....And all of them outperform there proprietary counterparts...

Also there are many utilities like FFDshow and Virtualdub which are open source software...

cheers,
dabster

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
i agree with med!
secondly open source doesnt even mean free...does it?an open source software can be paid soft..here u pay for the source and then modify it the way u like it.most of us think that open source means free just because 99% of open source progs are free....

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Open-source doesn't mean only Linux!! There are lots of Open-source software
available for Windows & other platforms. Also, there are commercial version of
Linux distros that ship with proprietary software which are not free!! So you have
to pay (for eg., Suse 10.1 commercial version comes with a dual-layer DVD with
8.5 GB of software!!).
For more on Open-source projects & software, checkout :
*sourceforge.net/index.php

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Dude there is a thread running on phpbb3 it must have just moved to 2nd page. You will also find topics on FreeBSD, Solaris, a couple of threads on Darwin and more.
But, yes majority are linux and related because, linux has become the biggest thing in open source today.

@borg The amount of posts we get in Open Source section itself justifies that it needs a different section. And well that's the decision of those in charge. You like it you stay, don't like it you are free to go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom