Does connecting smartphones to computer with USB reduces its battery lifecycle?

srdigit16

In the zone
We have to connect our smartphones to computer for transferring files & also developers have to do the same for testing Android apps. As this also charges the phone unnecessarily does this reduce the battery's lifecycle which results in failure of battery to hold charge? Is there any way to prevent this?

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
i think there was a similar discussion here regarding the same months or 1-2 years back. afaik you can get a cable that only charges the phone, no data but not the reverse. i have been using Moto G5S+ for over 4 1/2 years and most of the time it was charged using this method only. i didn't notice any severe battery degradation in it till december when i changed it.

Sarath

iDota
I was thought to believe that the slow charging speeds actually increases battery health and life.

The fast chargers put a lot of stress on the battery and hence at the cost of convenience we are looking at early failure. However since most people upgrade every 3 years (personally 5 years) they don't ever see the effects of severe battery degradation.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
I was thought to believe that the slow charging speeds actually increases battery health and life.

The fast chargers put a lot of stress on the battery and hence at the cost of convenience we are looking at early failure. However since most people upgrade every 3 years (personally 5 years) they don't ever see the effects of severe battery degradation.

I'm using Redmi note 4 from March 2017.
Battery reduced to 2950mAh from 4100mAh.
Maybe original battery was 3700-3800 mAh.
Tested with AccuBattery, BatteryGuru apps

Last edited:
Top Bottom