does changing virtual memory affect the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quan chi

mortal kombat
hello friends.

well for this problem *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86475.i searched the net and in one forum one of the person there mentioned that changing the virtual memory made some improvement in his system.

therefore i changed my virtual memory in 'c' drive.

initially it was:-min:-756
max:-1512 virtual memory.

and below it was mentioned as

recomended:- 2303.

so i changed it to
initial size:-2300
maximum size:-2302
*img3.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/83ea2cdce1.jpg

is it ok. will it do any harm to my system??

please do reply.

y2j826

Journeyman
it really affects the system and i always use virtual memory, but if you have enough RAM and your compter works smoothly no need to creat virtual RAM, cuz RAM is always faster then Virtual memory . . .

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Yes it does. I have set my Virtual Memory in my C to double my RAM (2 GB, both initial and final size). I do not fancy the swap file writing to various areas of the hard disk as windows adjusts its size, and getting more and more fragmented. As a matter of fact, some recommend a dedicated partition (yes, even in windows) for the swap file.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
well sorry but its still not clear yet.:oops: .will it harm my system.

I think it is clear

1. Set the virtual memory as you have above, but make sure it's double the amount of ram you have (you haven't mentioned how much ram you have?!)

2. No point of making 2300 and 2302. Let both maximum and minimum be the same

If you follow these two guidelines you won't harm your pc. If you don't then I do not know.

Hope it's clear now.

Beta Waves

Journeyman
well sorry but its still not clear yet.:oops: .will it harm my system.
It wont harm your computer if you increase or decrease the size of virual memory... But of course if you decrease it ... You will see a performance degradation while playing resource consuming games and softwares like Adobe photoshop.... So it is better to have upto 2 GB specified ..... And also if you have a separate partition for it ... it is well and good ...

pushkaraj

In the zone
I hav heard that if the page file is on a partition of a hard disk other than the one on which ur os is installed then it gives a performance boost. Is this true?

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
I hav heard that if the page file is on a partition of a hard disk other than the one on which ur os is installed then it gives a performance boost. Is this true?

True,but preferably it should be on your second HDD.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Virtual memory can in no way harm your PC, increase or decrease doesn't matter. Min & Max size should be same, so that windows doesn't waste resources on resizing it.

Having virtual memory on the non OS HDD gives the best result. However today's games & softwares are resource hungry & virtual memory doesn't help much. If you want to boost the performance of your system then increase the amount of ram.

OP
quan chi

quan chi

mortal kombat
I think it is clear

1. Set the virtual memory as you have above, but make sure it's double the amount of ram you have (you haven't mentioned how much ram you have?!)

2. No point of making 2300 and 2302. Let both maximum and minimum be the same

If you follow these two guidelines you won't harm your pc. If you don't then I do not know.

Hope it's clear now.

thanks it is clear. please see my siggy.

It wont harm your computer if you increase or decrease the size of virual memory... But of course if you decrease it ... You will see a performance degradation while playing resource consuming games and softwares like Adobe photoshop.... So it is better to have upto 2 GB specified ..... And also if you have a separate partition for it ... it is well and good ...

True,but preferably it should be on your second HDD.

Virtual memory can in no way harm your PC, increase or decrease doesn't matter. Min & Max size should be same, so that windows doesn't waste resources on resizing it.

Having virtual memory on the non OS HDD gives the best result. However today's games & softwares are resource hungry & virtual memory doesn't help much. If you want to boost the performance of your system then increase the amount of ram.

thanks guys for replying.as i have 1.50gb ram so according to your comments i have made it 3000 both initial and maximum.

is it ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom