Do you mind what kind of screen glass is used for your smartphone?

hdknitro

bringing the world down
Ya but, if somebody wants protection, it is available at a price

- - - Updated - - -

Yes but, if somebody needs protection it is an option

alina

Right off the assembly line
Yes i will mind ....It is very important for me .....
OGS is good one
I always have screen guard and cover to phone.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
What kind of glass do normal touch screen phones( like Samsung galaxy grand, grand 2 etc) have?

everything mostly has Corning's Gorilla Glass. If not that then Asahi's Dragotrail. There is nothing else, AFAIK, no "normal glass".

quicky008

Technomancer
one which will get damaged pretty badly if scratched with knife or screwdriver or even with normal usage:lol:

even gorilla glass is rumored to get scratched when its subjected to a few bumps and shocks-so its usp of being scratch resistant and durable doesn't seem to be true afterall.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
even gorilla glass is rumored to get scratched when its subjected to a few bumps and shocks-so its usp of being scratch resistant doesn't seem to be true afterall.

I've tried to scratch my phone's both front and back glasses with coins, keys, knife and a screwdriver but both sides are good as knew (phone will be a year old on 15th Feb). :)

quicky008

Technomancer
everything mostly has Corning's Gorilla Glass. If not that then Asahi's Dragotrail. There is nothing else, AFAIK, no "normal glass".

i see,but according to wikipedia,dragotrail is commonly found only in certain high-end phones like xperia z1,z3 etc.I was wondering what kind of glass is generally used for mid range or low-end touch screen phones which dont have all the bells and whistles of their hi-end counterparts.

- - - Updated - - -

I've tried to scratch my phone's both front and back glasses with coins, keys, knife and a screwdriver but both sides are good as knew (phone will be a year old on 15th Feb). :)
So you deliberately tried to get your scratch your phone?!You must be very courageous-the very thought of accidentally damaging the screens of my android phones makes my heart stop with trepidation as a screen-replacement usually costs a small fortune,and i being a poor chap can't really afford it :(

What phone do you have btw?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
i see,but according to wikipedia,dragotrail is commonly found only in certain high-end phones like xperia z1,z3 etc.I was wondering what kind of glass is generally used for mid range or low-end touch screen phones which dont have all the bells and whistles of their hi-end counterparts.
xperia active had it, which was mid range. Believe some of the low end models by Indian brands also have Dragontrail. Generally, it is likely to be Gorilla Glass.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!

- - - Updated - - -

So you deliberately tried to get your scratch your phone?!You must be very courageous-the very thought of accidentally damaging the screens of my android phones makes my heart stop with trepidation as a screen-replacement usually costs a small fortune,and i being a poor chap can't really afford it :(

What phone do you have btw?

If the OEM doesn't mentions any type to protective glass, its better to assume they have normal glass and not Dragontrail Glass. And thus, those phones should be avoided IMO.

Just look at Redmi 1s or Moto E. Though they don't have the top end hardware, they do have the protective glass which lazy and crappy OEMs like samdung don't mention (or rather use) even in their mid rangers.

I'm not rich either, I just saw some YT videos, got to know about the hardness of different materials before trying that out on my LG Optimus G E970. :)

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
There is no "normal glass" used on smart phones. For tests, Corning and Asahi compare their smart phone glasses to Soda-lime glass, which is the "normal glass", only it is not used on any smart phones.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
There is no "normal glass" used on smart phones. For tests, Corning and Asahi compare their smart phone glasses to Soda-lime glass, which is the "normal glass", only it is not used on any smart phones.

Umm...
Asus Zenfone 4 A400CXG(White, with 8 GB, with Soda Lime Glass)

Atleast Asus had the courtesy to mention it unlike major OEM's. :|

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Found one glass for smartphones that is not from Asahi or Corning, it is Schott's Xensation
Xensation® Aluminosilicate Touch Screen Glass | SCHOTT AG
now anyone know any device that uses it?

stackiq

Broken In
I think a amoled display with Gorilla Glass 3 is best for everything, because in direct sunlight lcd screens are very bad and for scratch gorilla glass.

A

amit.tiger12

You need protection even if you have gorilla glass 3...
my friend's nexus 5 got scratches on his gorilla glass screen...
he buys scratch-guard from some stupid store, and before applying scratch-guard "he" used some kind of liquid and gently rubbed allover screen... and after few months when friends scratch guard got damaged... then slowly scratches were coming on screen, where "he" dropped few drops of that liquid...
that liquid "lens cleaning" removed protection from that portion of screen... And replacement of that screen cost him around 8K... :(

Talking about Nexus 5... :)

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
You need protection even if you have gorilla glass 3...
my friend's nexus 5 got scratches on his gorilla glass screen...
he buys scratch-guard from some stupid store, and before applying scratch-guard "he" used some kind of liquid and gently rubbed allover screen... and after few months when friends scratch guard got damaged... then slowly scratches were coming on screen, where "he" dropped few drops of that liquid...
that liquid "lens cleaning" removed protection from that portion of screen... And replacement of that screen cost him around 8K... :(

Talking about Nexus 5... :)

My LG Optimus G E970 (14 months old) has scratch free both front and back glasses without using scratch guard. Only using TPU case as the phone tends to slip-off without it.

A

amit.tiger12

My LG Optimus G E970 (14 months old) has scratch free both front and back glasses without using scratch guard. Only using TPU case as the phone tends to slip-off without it.

oh great...
TPU case?
can you suggest me some good TPU case for my nexus 5?
front and back case??? both available??

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
oh great...
TPU case?
can you suggest me some good TPU case for my nexus 5?
front and back case??? both available??

TPU case is for the back only. :p

Nobody would be able to use the phone with a front TPU case. :lol:

I've read Diztronic, Amzer and the likes are good. Search in amazon or ebay for similar priced ones. DON'T buy cheap silicone ones.

Top Bottom