Do i need to update my bios??

dikart4

Broken In
Hello Guys,

My system Config is
Core i5 3470 | Gigabyte B75MD3H | Corsair vengeance 1600 Mhz | WD Blue 1TB WD10EZEX | CX430V2 | HD 7750 |Antec one S3 USB 3 cabinet | Dell IN2030 |

I have installed Windows 8 Pro.Recently purchased a new WD My Passport 1 TB drive. I was getting low USB 3 transfer speed of 25-27 MB/s.So I checked with my friend's Samsung NP350V5C-S0BIN Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) laptop which also had Windows 8 Pro and it gave 55-60 MBps consistently.

So Defragmented all drives using Diskeeper 12 Pro and did following tests

1.Tried to copy a video file of 4.7 GB into ext hdd but the transfer speed this time has dropped to 24 MB/s.

2.Installed Ubuntu 13.04 on a 40 gb partition and booted it but couldn't access any other drives apart from the drive where its installed.Came to know that its because of windows 8 fastBootup option.So booted windows 8 then restarted system and chose ubuntu in boot menu, this time I could access all the drives except the one in which windows 8 was instaled

Tried to transfer video files of various size(total of 42 Gb with 165 items) and transfer speed is 60-52 MB/s with a consistent speed of 52 Mb/s.
mp3 files of total 4.7 GB gave a transfer speed of 52 MB/s consistently.
Pictures of .jpeg format (2.9 Gb 3821 items) was transferred with a consistent speed of 37 MB/s.

3.Shutdown system.

4.Power up the system and booted Windows 8.Transfer speed is still 24 MB/s.I thought its Windows 8 problem.

5.Restart the system in windows 8 and again chose windows 8 from boot menu.To my surprize Transfer speeds are
52 MB/s for video and mp3 files and 37 MB/s for .jpeg files.

6.Repeated step 3,4,5 many times and got the same result.

CONCLUSION:
Whenever I boot into Windows 8 after a proper shutdown in previous session the transfer speed is 24 MB/s and if I restart the system and boot into Windows 8 transfer speed improves to 60-52 MB/s.

Also I have another problem, If I set the system to turn off the display after sometime(say 5 mins),after 5 mins If I try to get back the display,I get a black screen and nothing else.I tried to get back to older version of display driver but even then the problem exists.This problem doesnt appear if I set the system to sleep after 5 mins i.e., It wakes up from sleep without any problem and I can resume work as usual.

Do I need to update my Bios or reinstalling windows would solve it?plz suggest me.

My current motherboard GA-B75M-D3H Bios version is F12. When I checked in Gigabyte website there are 2 higher versions available F13g and F14.( GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-B75M-D3H (rev. 1.1) )The descripption for F14 says that it Enhances USB device compatibility.

So If I have to update Bios using @Bios utility what are the precautions that needs to be taken?Do I have to Update from F12 to F13g and then update to F14 or can I directly Update from F12 to F14?

Has anyone faced these 2 problems?or has anyone updated the Bios for GA-B75M-D3H mobo?Please guide me in this regard.

Thank You

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can update the BIOS directly from F12 to F14.

Do check the motherboard revision number while downloading BIOS.

Top Bottom