do gigahertz matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastdefenda

Broken In
You need to understand poor man's(like me) view . Such as 'i buy a processor I make liquid cooling buy hand cost me a 500rs processor is 2k and I get a minimum 4ghz oc sustainable at least a year. I have seen my clarkdale die after a month with a 4.2-4.5ghz oc @ 1.4V. It will not happen with a celeron I not saying their better processors but the trend should end a some point. @asingh

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
You need to understand poor man's(like me) view . Such as 'i buy a processor I make liquid cooling buy hand cost me a 500rs processor is 2k and I get a minimum 4ghz oc sustainable at least a year. I have seen my clarkdale die after a month with a 4.2-4.5ghz oc @ 1.4V. It will not happen with a celeron I not saying their better processors but the trend should end a some point. @asingh

Pushing beyond 4GHz and 5GHz was needed when there were single core processors and when P/W was not considered as a thumb rule. That was during the GHz race of early 2000s, which is what the article was based on. Intel and AMD now design CPUs that give more P/W and this is why we are not seeing them pushing beyond 3GHz like they used to earlier. Now, even tiny OC gives very good performance gain so, you need not alway push to the max limit and leave the CPU to die. For example, a 200MHz increment for current gen CPU gives as much performance advantage as a 400MHz or 500MHz increment to those Pentium/Athlon era CPUs.

The main reason for small fabrication is that

1. it reduces among of power consumed by CPU
2. allows the chipmaker to add more transistors/elements (putting GPU/CPU on same die would've been impossible to do if the fab was still at 90nm or even 65nm). And it also allows them to get more chips out of same wafer size.
3. Reduces cost to manufacture chips
4. Reduces electric leakage

lastdefenda

Broken In
All you say is true . all I'm saying is "efficient" "cool" "low surge" can't be interpreted into high oc'able processor(by voltage) , its like putting a supercharger in a car, frame strength matters. my last effort..

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom