Diy solar panels

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
Hi guys,
This summer I am planning to build a DIY solar panel @ my home.

Anyone of you can suggest me good instructables.

I am first of planning to arrange cells.
So far in India I have found Indosolar which sells Solar cells.

I will contact them and update hear.

Note: This is purely a technical thread.Please don't spam here.

If you have some related good content please post.

Regards,
Kunal

icebags

Technomancer
u mean like this ? this waree is indian company, they have ebay shop too, but delivery feedback not too well. item quality appears ok though.

*i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFgxMDk4/z/S98AAOxygPtS8MPq/$_12.JPG

Solar PV Modules, Solar Panel Manufacturers In India, Solar Products In India, Solar Power For Homes, Solar Panels India, Solar Street Light Manufacturer, Waaree Energies Ltd.

OP
K

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
u mean like this ? this waree is indian company, they have ebay shop too, but delivery feedback not too well. item quality appears ok though.

*i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFgxMDk4/z/S98AAOxygPtS8MPq/$_12.JPG

Solar PV Modules, Solar Panel Manufacturers In India, Solar Products In India, Solar Power For Homes, Solar Panels India, Solar Street Light Manufacturer, Waaree Energies Ltd.

Thanks dude.

Monocrytalline cells are my priority.
Still no reply from Indosolar

Ironman

In the zone
I am also thinking of the same thing ,

I already acquired an old Solar panel having only the cells .

How am i going to measure the energy output of the cells ?

Do i have to buy a Multimeter ?
How much does one cost ?

OP
K

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent

How much does one cost ?

Yep Multimeter I guess.

Nice instructable-
Apartment Solar System

icebags

Technomancer

How much does one cost ?

they are probably already mentioned on the product itself. or just measure the voltage o/p under full exposure of 12 o'clock sunlight, then measure voltage & short circuit current.
[MENTION=266361]kunalgujarathi[/MENTION]

*i.imgur.com/aR4L5Ca.png?1
[MENTION=96386]CyberKID[/MENTION]

Last edited:

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Someone called me? :p Thanks [MENTION=44484]icebags[/MENTION] for calling me. :) Usually TDF notification mails have been reaching me late by around a week or so, but this time, it has reached promptly. [MENTION=266361]kunalgujarathi[/MENTION], why not change the topic, if you still can, to something encompassing everything related to solar power generation? We can use this thread to discuss our Solat Energy Projects, queries and requirements, and showoff also.
I've been learning about panels for a long time now. One thing I can say is, though building your own panels is a novel idea, it needs us to do a lot of work. Imagine wiring up and soldering those 36-72 cells based on your needs. One thing good about this idea is you can make your own design of solar panels. The drawback however is it's tedious work. Plus, it won't turn out to be as good as the readymade ones are.
I recently bought a panel to test my dual-axis tracker, which is still in works. In the past few days, I have killed an almost dead 12v ups battery because I directly hooked it with the panel. :p :twisted:
Then I got a novel idea of connecting the panel output directly to my presumably dead UPS. But the problem here were many. The panel is 12v and the peak output is reaching ~20volts, while the UPS is a double battery one, and needs atleast 24-25 volts. Still I opened it up only to be shocked that the batteries seem to be still okay, after more than 1 year of being unplugged, they still had 12.1volt each. So, there goes my novel idea.

Anyways, to measure the output, you will need a multimeter. a digital one will do. you can get one for as low as 150 bucks around your local electronics repair shop, and expect to pay ~250-300 online for the same thing.
Ideally the panels do have a sticker mentioning the technical details at the back, like Max Voltage, Max Current, Short Circuit Current, Max System Voltage, etc. refer to that if available, or go the multimeter way.

icebags

Technomancer
[MENTION=96386]CyberKID[/MENTION] u're welcome.

this channel has a good number of solar panel + LED DIY stuff, interesting for anyone who likes those. a sample vid :

[YOUTUBE]tcWyIEBGJMU[/YOUTUBE]

MelissaK

Right off the assembly line
There are really quite many videos and articles online which tell how to do it, but to my mind it is necessary to have a proper understanding how solar panels work. You can read this post to get more information. And if you have opportunity to invite the person, who has already installed solar panels himself, it would be just great, because he will give you much more tips than any resource.

Top Bottom