Disappearing free space on 'C' crive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nariman

Journeyman
Am using Win XP Pro SP 2 with 2 x 256 mb ram.
Since the last more thn a week am facing a strange problem. This came to light when I got messge "No free space to save file". On checking propery of 'c' Drive I found no free space left.
I restarted the machine and on rechecking property of 'c'drive I found that all the free pace was restored.
Thereafter every moring on start up the used space is 5.81 gb; Free space is 14.1 gb and capacity 29 gb.
Even if I let the computer idle for few hours I find that the free space is decreased and used space increased. By the end of the day there is no free spaceleft.
Have to restart to regain free space.
Can any one of you help me to understand what is happenning?
Have trid scanning with online scnners and nothing is reported.
I eagerly wait to receive some help.
REGARD
nariman

Pathik

Google Bot
it can be a virus too... scan wit avast....
btw @ vimal page file size doesnt increase dynamically...

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
if "Automatically set the pagefile" option is enabled then it will go max to 1.5 times the RAM size =>(2*256)*1.5 = 768MB

btw scan with Kaspersky AV (trial edition will do for one time scan), coz Avast is no good:x , just now i installed KIS & currently running Full System scan & it has found 5 trojan & 2 adwares. (two hours ago i had Avast & had installed XP 3 hours ago:D:D:D )

cooldip10

In the zone
Do a quick Virus Scan.. My father faced the same problem a few days ago..

May i know who said that.??

Its much better than the resource hungry Norton! :)

Last edited:

shashank4u

Youngling
first defragment the disk then see..
check for the viruses..
restore the computer when it was working fine..

check these 3 options and then tell us..

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
cooldip10 said:
May i know who said that.??

Its much better than the resource hungry Norton! :)
dude, when i posted it, then it means i said it:D lool

& i gave the reason in post # 5.

what good is a AV when it cant detect virus/trojan.

i had d/l a zip file & Avast said its all cool, so i opened the zip file & used the contents, then the Internet Explorer got fked:D:D:D

KIS on the other hand, caught the culprits:wink:

so IMHO Active Virus Shield [free] (AVS) is a lot better choice than Avast coz it uses Kaspersky Engine

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Nariman said:
Am using Win XP Pro SP 2 with 2 x 256 mb ram.
Since the last more thn a week am facing a strange problem. This came to light when I got messge "No free space to save file". On checking propery of 'c' Drive I found no free space left.
I restarted the machine and on rechecking property of 'c'drive I found that all the free pace was restored.
Thereafter every moring on start up the used space is 5.81 gb; Free space is 14.1 gb and capacity 29 gb.
Even if I let the computer idle for few hours I find that the free space is decreased and used space increased. By the end of the day there is no free spaceleft.
Have to restart to regain free space.
Can any one of you help me to understand what is happenning?
Have trid scanning with online scnners and nothing is reported.
I eagerly wait to receive some help.
REGARD
nariman

It is clearly a Trojan or spyware issue. Post the HijackThis log report for analysis.

Meanwhile, Install "Spybot" and avast! Antivirus, update its definitions and perform a full scan in "safe mode".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom