Disable My Computer Icon From XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batistabomb

Deadman Walking
Guys this is a small kind of security tip from others being logged in to your system, it might be beneficial to disable the ability to click on My Computer and have access to the drives, control panel etc.

To disable this:

1.Open RegEdit
2.Search for 20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D
3.This should bring you to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID section
4.Delete the entire section.
Now when you click on My Computer, nothing will happen.

Imp Note: Export your registry before doing this because, My computer will be back again if we import the registry from the saved location.

You can also hide all the Desktop Icons, see Change/Add restrictions.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ Is it your tip or you got it from other sources .. if the second is the case then please post the link to the original source. If its your tip then tell us what setting "20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D" stores.

slugger

Banned
charangk said:
^^ Is it your tip or you got it from other sources .. if the second is the case then please post the link to the original source. If its your tip then tell us what setting "20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D" stores.

ur intentions r noble, but even tho i dint no wat setting it stores, a quick googling tell mes dat it is 4 storing d status of d my computer icon [ie wether it is 2 b visible or not]

ya but do agree wit u dat if it has been learnt from a diff source, d origianl poster must b given d due credit

by givin credit 2 d orignal contributer, u display ur eagerness to learn and acquire new knwledge, which by no streach of imagination a bad thin

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom