[DIGIT TEST CENTRE] Sneak Peek - Intel Core i7 980 Extreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucifer

Reviewerus Prolificus
We just got our hands on Intel's much awaited Gulftown, aka the Core i7 980 Extreme. For those who don't know, this CPU is based on a new 32nm fabrication process and features 6 cores running at a whopping 3.33 GHz, which many will recall is the same speed that the i7 975 Extreme chip runs at, but with two less cores.

The embargo on disclosing information about this product finished around 2 hours back, meaning we're 2 hours late ;) but we beat everyone to the gun. As the adage goes - the early bird catches the 980 Extreme...

Without further ado lets get into some pics:

*img521.imageshack.us/img521/7345/thecpuandheatsink.th.jpg

The CPU and heatsink. Note that this is an Intel heatsink, and the first time we've seen such an elaborate tower-based solution from them with heatpipes.

*img294.imageshack.us/img294/5168/thecorei7980xitself.th.jpg

I'm using a very basic camera, but it's possible to see the lettering, though it won't say much more than "Intel Confidential".

*img94.imageshack.us/img94/9563/ssetupandreadytogo.th.jpg

Set up in the BIOS. Intel insisted on us using the their own X58 motherboard, the DX58SO. A quick BIOS update and the board recognised the 980X without hiccups. We'll give you a sneak at a few benchmarks later on.

We'll also be featuring this CPU in a detailed review in April's issue, so interested persons might want to look out for that.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lucifer

Reviewerus Prolificus
I'm glad to report the benchmarks are done. This is one helluva beast, as was expected. It also runs a bit hot, not alarmingly so, but it bears noting. Nonetheless, a pretty amazing chip.

Here's another pic of the rig being benched. The graphics card is a GTX 285.

*img690.imageshack.us/img690/3858/the980xbeingbenched.th.jpg

higettech

Right off the assembly line
Thanks for the news, actually i was going to create a new thread for the information about the Intel's new CPU. Well, i am not sure why web hosting companies don't use these high-performance CPU in their servers. Do you have any idea? or is it so that these CPU will need more high-end hardware than they use currently.

OP
L

Lucifer

Reviewerus Prolificus
Higettech, there are server variants of the Core i7 CPUs, these are used in servers. The Gulftown is a new desktop-only CPU, and not yet available freely. Being an Extreme Edition, you may not see many due to the price.

^vishalmistry, there will be no Core i9 just yet. The Gulftown was supposed to be Core i9.

This is a very fast CPU. I saw a sub-5 second Wprime, for the first time at stock speeds!

anil_tech

Broken In
Ya intel has been manufacturing 6 cores CPU for server under the label Xeon. Now 6 core is coming to desktop. Hope to see benchmarks soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom