Difference between SATA & PATA Disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

h_kunte

Journeyman
Friends,

Can anyone please explain me the differences between a SATA Hdd & a PATA? Is the difference only in the connecting cable & cable slot?

Please throw light on all possible differences.

Also, why is the price difference between the two types so large?

Thanx.

madman123

Broken In
hmm...no offence, but that is asking what the difference between a bicycle and a car is...SATA(serial ata) is much faster the (parallen ata) which uses a much older technology...sata us basically the norm right now...and the thing to watch out for is SATA2

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
As we all know that SATA is dam faster than PATA so no need to mention all that again but if you have a dam stylish cabinate with all the cooling stuff and transparent cabinate then its pretty good as its cabels are far thin than IDE cabels !!!

Hence better looks and proper air circulation !!!

rachitar

Journeyman
SATA and (P)ATA have different cables and chipsets
SATA is not supported on some linux flavours and versions and you will have to download the source code and compile it accordingly

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
rachitar said:
SATA is not supported on some linux flavours and versions and you will have to download the source code and compile it accordingly

That is old news nowa days almost every distro. of linux supports SATA !!!

rachitar

Journeyman
rachitboom2 said:
rachitar said:

That is old news nowa days almost every distro. of linux supports SATA !!!

:lol: :lol: *linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html :lol: :lol:
I didnt say Linux will not install,it will give you problems, like FC 4 has been giving me
To get rid of the problem,you need to download the kernel sourcecode and compile it on your comp

Monster_AMD

Broken In
PATA used to transfer data using parallel interface thats why it had so many pins which resulted in the increased width of the connector (IDE). Sata does it using serial one. SATA is much much faster n there is no difference in the costs of the both varieties.
I have successfully installed FC4 on my Seagate SATA.

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
Yaa thats what I said that it will install on linux !!!

Oh and SATA costs a bit higher that PATA dude !!!

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
the one number tht goes against sata is
its got only one connector per port
but the ide thing has two

still SATA rules !!!!

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
vijay_7287 said:
the one number tht goes against sata is
its got only one connector per port
but the ide thing has two

That dosent makes any diff. as we have to connect other optical drives too on IDE, so its all together the same only !!!

mohit

The Hardware Labs
Please search the forum before posting your queries, this topic has been discussed many times before.

see HERE and HERE

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
mohit said:
Please search the forum before posting your queries, this topic has been discussed many times before.

see HERE and HERE

But that dosent makes any diff. as again in a few days someone else will again start a thread of such sort !!!;-)

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
No point in locking the thread now that so many people have replied to the original post.

@h_kunte: Please make use of the Search function before starting new threads.

rachitboom2

Ambassador of Buzz
is it mentioned in the rulz that you have to first search and then start a new topic, if not then pls. add it in it !!!

mohit

The Hardware Labs
@rachit
instead of talking nonsense and giving crapy suggestions why dont u help in keeping the forum clean and uncluttered ? there is no need for a rule on searching before posting , its just common sense and also a good habit inorder to avoid the same n same n same posts again n again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom