Difference between Integerated and Onboard

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between onboad graphics and integerated (RAMDAC) graphics and external.

As per my knowledge, onboard is built into the the mainboard and shares primary memory. External graphics of course I'm aware of.

My notebook says integerated nVidia NVS RAMDAC 1.5GB. Is it same as onboard?

Apologies for asking layman question, just jiggling through with this.

Enjoy~!

Hrishi

AFAIK , there are primarily three kind of gfx memory.

1.Integrated/Onboard.
2.Discrete Class
3.Dedicated

The integrated one is built on board , and shares the system memory.This one is meant only for simple graphic processing.E.g. Intel onboard Gfx chipsets.
They have limited bandwidth of ~28GBPS.
The Discrete Class GPU is sort of advanced integrated graphic processor(IGP) which comes alongwith CPU.The GPU lies on the same die as CPU.Common examples are AMD E-450 with Amd Raedon 6320 Descrete class gfx ,Intel core I Series 2nd Gen.
Since it has a dedicated gpu so it clearly outperforms simple onboard gfx and delivers high performance.

The Dedicated one is generally an external PCI card which is attached to the MoBo to deliver Xtreme performance.It has its own dedicated video memory(GDDR).Bandwidth upto 240GBPS.

Last edited:
OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
This is what I see in my dxdiag tool.

*i48.tinypic.com/16isfm1.jpg

So it's an onboard graphics, i.e. without any dedicated GPU.

@Rishi: So you mean the discreet class graphics have their dedicated memory and cpu although its parallel with the mainboard CPU.

I wondered about this since I couldn't understand how (for example) intel boards come integerated with ATi and nVidia cards. Do they tie up and built the board accordingly?

PS: In system properties, it shows my usable RAM is only 3GB though I have 4. So my graphics uses 1GB. However, it shows approx 1.5GB in dxdiag. Does that specify how maximum it can share from RAM?

Enjoy~!

kisame

King of Heroes
You have dedicated graphics with 1.5 gb 512 mb memory.
You can only see 3 gb ram because you are using 32-bit OS.Move to 64-bit to address full ram.

Last edited:
OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
Hi, can you elaborate a bit how you made out that mine is dedicated. And does that mean, my RAM is not shared?

Enjoy~!

kisame

King of Heroes
Ignore the previous post.
Nvidia doesn't do 'integrated' graphics for notebooks.
According to this Tech Specs your GPU has 512MB memory.
For accurate info,run GPU-Z.
techPowerUp! :: Downloads

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
@OP: Ingore all previous posts. All posts above consist of wrong info.

A. There are two type of graphics (card). 1> Onboard- shares memory from RAM. Your display card is of this type.
2> Discrete- Have its own memory. These are PCI or PCI-E cards.

The display card you are using can share maximum of 512MB memory from RAM as display memory.

2. You are using 4GB RAM with 32bit OS? You won't face any problem, but out of that 4GB memory only 3.14GB will be addressable/usable by the OS.

End of story.

Hrishi

Ignore the previous post.
Nvidia doesn't do 'integrated' graphics for notebooks.
[/url]

Well , no offence but haven't you read/heard about the Nvidia Ion Technology. for Netbooks/Notebooks ?
If no , then please look at "Nvidia's integrated GeForce 9400M graphics" based on Nvidia Ion Technology.

@OP: Ingore all previous posts. All posts above consist of wrong info.

A. There are two type of graphics (card). 1> Onboard- shares memory from RAM. Your display card is of this type.
2> Discrete- Have its own memory. These are PCI or PCI-E cards.

End of story.

But isn't it that the term Discrete GPU is used for Notebooks having Dedicated graphics card with its Own memory & resources, and some of these even share system memory too.

Now there are newer generation processor also called APU , which have GPU on same die as processor.
Therefore no PCIe BUs involved in data transfer from GPU-CPU. These are called Discrete class GPU , for example AMD HD3000 , HD 6320,etc.
They don't have dedicated Ram like Discrete GPUs. However since it doesn't involves delay in data transfer , its much faster than previous IGPs.
These "Discrete class" gfx delivers better performance than some of lower range Discrete GPUs , and more battery life.

AMD and Intel HAs coined their new range of GPUs that comes bundled with APU's as "Discrete class".

This new range of GPU coined by AMD might sound highly different and superior but "Discrete class" is still an IGP and lacks Dedicated memory unlike Original Discrete Graphics.

Don't confuse yourself with "Discrete class" and "Discrete" while going for lower middle range notebooks.

This is what I see in my dxdiag tool.

*i48.tinypic.com/16isfm1.jpg

So it's an onboard graphics, i.e. without any dedicated GPU.

@Rishi: So you mean the discreet class graphics have their dedicated memory and cpu although its parallel with the mainboard CPU.

I wondered about this since I couldn't understand how (for example) intel boards come integerated with ATi and nVidia cards. Do they tie up and built the board accordingly?

PS: In system properties, it shows my usable RAM is only 3GB though I have 4. So my graphics uses 1GB. However, it shows approx 1.5GB in dxdiag. Does that specify how maximum it can share from RAM?

Enjoy~!

1.No ,Discrete class GPU doesn't have dedicated VRAM , they are just advanced IGP delivering performance times better than predecesors and shares system memory.
Check out AMD's FUSION for further details.

2.Recently made Nvidia Ion based GPU's that are actually integrated graphic processors that comes bundled with Intel Atom CPU.
Other than this Nvidia doesn't doesnt have any integrated graphic solution for Notebooks/Netbooks.

3.Your laptop features a Quadro line of GPU , which is actually a Discrete/Dedicated GPU having 512mb Of dedicated DDR3 VRAM.
Its actually a buisness class GPU meant for presentations and multiple displays , and not gaming.

OP
speedyguy

speedyguy

Cyborg Agent
Alright, so shall I conclude that this GPU was clubbed with my mainboard during the build and is not a seperate card that has been plugged into the board (like PCI-e/AGP slots etc). "Bottom line, I cannot change my graphics." And I have 256MB of dedicated VRAM (as in GPU Z TOOL) plus rest shared from main memory.

Just to test what you said, I tried running NFS The Run (Game) on my system. Ran smoothly in all "low" settings. Slight lags in "medium" (not very playable though). Crashed the system in High (System got overheated) :)

Enjoy~!

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
That 256MB of graphic memory of yours is shared memory the amount which can change in BIOS. According to the nvidia website, NVS3100M doesn't have any dedicated memory.

Hrishi

That 256MB of graphic memory of yours is shared memory the amount which can change in BIOS. According to the nvidia website, NVS3100M doesn't have any dedicated memory.

As per the Nvidia Website Tech Specs , the NVS3100M can have a maximum of 512mb DDR3 VRAM.
I am not sure if this is shared or Dedicated , but as per NoteBookCheck Dot Net this graphic card doesn't shares video Ram , so it can only have dedicated amount of VRAM.

Top Bottom