diff btw Pentium M and centrino

Status
Not open for further replies.

krisjr

In the zone
hi,
guys could anybody tell me the diff between Pentium M and Centrino technology in laptops..i would like to buy a laptop with the latest features and future safe capabilities.are Wipro lappy's good...

rgds

Ravi+ish

Journeyman
For example, Intel Pentium 4 has a mobile version for its processor and that's Pentium M.
Whereas, Intel Centrino is a wireless TECHNOLOGY, which has Pentium M and large cache, and wireless 802.11'b/g' (in latest ones) bundled!
So, when ur gonna buy a new notebook, just look for the centrino label... the speed of the processors, the amount of cache memory and the wireless version preferrably the 'g' one. That one has great advantages of speed over... the'b' one.
Or else, look for the AMD 64bit notebook!!

My ultimate suggestion for buying a laptop... just look for the model that's got all what you WILLL need not too much extra fizz!

Happy buying mate!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Centrino mobile tech is a collection of products from the Intel stable. If a lappy uses the Pentium M proccy, 8xx/9xx series chipset and wireless pro 2x00 wifi card then it is collectivly known as centrino mobile tech.

however if any of the above components are missing from the lappy (e.g if the manufacturer uses P-M proccy wid a different chipset or a wi-fi) then it can't be advertised as a centrio platform!

manmay

Journeyman
i would like to add a little more info to the above...

pentium m (mobile ) uses a stepping down technology in which u can step down your processor manually to half its speed to conserve the battery life and step it up when ever u want. pentium m processors are actually regular desktop processors with this stepping technology and a specially made cpu fan. so u will notice that pentium m lappy are bulkier and run hotter than centrinos. and work at a higher clock speed but at the cost of battery.

centrino processors are the newer version of the mobile processor with more cache to counter its lower clock speed. when idle they switch down to a fraction of their speed thus saving battery life. now when ever u start a task it switches back to it original speed with in fractions of second

geekysage

Journeyman
@manmay: Uh..oh..get your facts right. Centrino ain't a proccy alone but a collection of Pentium M proccy, intel's 802.11 wireless, and one of the intel 855 chipset based board.

Yes, Pentium M processors do have the SpeedStep technology you mentioned but i find it more of a PITA than a useful technology coz even when i am running my laptop on battery, i play games which get very slow if I don't disbale the stepping down technology.

BTW, infra_red_dude already posted the correct answer.

I hope this clears it up for ya.

geekysage

Journeyman
manmay said:
so u will notice that pentium m lappy are bulkier and run hotter than centrinos...
...centrino processors are the newer version of the mobile processor with more cache to counter its lower clock speed.
Ravi+ish, this is absurd and wrong. Saying that centrino is a different processor is an absurd statement. As i and others have mentioned before, a Pentium M processor coupled with intel's wireless and 855 chipset motherboard collectively denote the term *centrino*. Centrino is not a new version of the Pentium M, it is Pentium M, to say the least!

Laptops that have the *aforementioned* collection get the Centrino tag, while those that lack either the intel wireless or the intel chipset mobo get just the Pentium M logo. That's the only difference. Period.

This aside, maybe you understood some more than me to find these statements alrite. If that's the case, fill me in, i am all ears.

manmay

Journeyman
but i think i have seen laptops under tagname centrino
but on a 915 chipset.
for eg the laptops offered by acer....

geekysage

Journeyman
err...okay, the 915PM chipset is now also included in the centrino family. But the fact still remains...
geekysage said:
Laptops that have the *aforementioned* collection get the Centrino tag, while those that lack either the intel wireless or the intel chipset mobo get just the Pentium M logo. That's the only difference. Period.

Sourabh

Laptoping
Ahh whats the fuss, Centrino is a platform whereas Pentium M is the processor.

Instead of just marketting processors, Intel decided to promote a platform which would comprise of a Pentium M processor, a suitable Intel Chipset and 802.11 b/g and thats Centrino Technology. All laptops based on the Centrino technology imply the use of those three components. Centrino technology insists on the use of suitable Intel chipset wheres AMD doesnt lay any specifications for the choice of chipset for its mobile platform.

It would be time very soon to discuss the Napa platform, based on the Yonahs, 945 mobile chipset and 802.11 a/b/g standards

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
hey nobody told me about wipro lappy's..tell me which lappy is good now a days..requirement is office work and medium gaming like should be able to play games like NFS hp, underground and other 1st person shooter games..shud hav bluetooth, wi fi, future safe..

Ravi+ish

Journeyman
geekysage said:
manmay said:
so u will notice that pentium m lappy are bulkier and run hotter than centrinos...
...centrino processors are the newer version of the mobile processor with more cache to counter its lower clock speed.
Ravi+ish, this is absurd and wrong. Saying that centrino is a different processor is an absurd statement. As i and others have mentioned before, a Pentium M processor coupled with intel's wireless and 855 chipset motherboard collectively denote the term *centrino*. Centrino is not a new version of the Pentium M, it is Pentium M, to say the least!

This aside, maybe you understood some more than me to find these statements alrite. If that's the case, fill me in, i am all ears.

I know Pentium M is not a new processor. It's u that makes me go thru the whole forum again, if anyone says THAT!!! Plz Plz Plz let me know who and where said that! and also let me know iff I said that!!!

Ravi+ish

Journeyman
krisjr said:
hey nobody told me about wipro lappy's..tell me which lappy is good now a days..requirement is office work and medium gaming like should be able to play games like NFS hp, underground and other 1st person shooter games..shud hav bluetooth, wi fi, future safe..

well buddy, I'd just like to say Laptops are not REALLY good options WHEN you consider playing NEW games on them! It's only when you have got laptop and wanna play some games too! Don't expect to play NEW GOOD games at even mid-range prices. They come not-cheap!

Plz let me know what others think on this!!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
well most sub-45k lappies will play the newer games albeit at a bit low resolution! but if you are a hardcore games who keeps on buying the newest gfx card, desktops are ur best bet!

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
i am very mobile guys..so cant get a desktop, which is why i wanted a lappy which will play all the shooting games etc albeit at low res..but will it play and which lappy's are good..thats all i wanted to know..

manmay

Journeyman
my vote goes to ravi+ish

if u want performance then always go for a desktop
it actually very flexible in terms of upgrading and availablility of upgrades...+ variety of upgrades.+++cost of upgrades.

goes 4 a lappy only if u have great need of mobile computing.
and even if u do then go a mid range lappy (strictly keep it cheap)....but the enjoyment of a game is only derived from a lappy.

who wants long loading times for softwares and games.

i remember on my old lappy nfs ug used to lake so long to load that i used to go to drink water or for a leak..and then come back to find it still loading....

ofcourse now a days the laptops are better tha mine....
but seriously the lappy hdd s are quite slow in comparison to deskies.
more over here we have sata hdds

desktops aer jus so much better...

that's my view...

manmay
peace

con_tester

Journeyman
But I agree with manmay.

Laptps hdd have really low rpm....
But desktop pc's hhd have at least 7200 rpm...
Thats why lappy hdd is slow...

manmay

Journeyman
common infra red dude....
u're still using presario 2517 right.....
man believe me there's a huge diff bet the hdd performance....
remember i too had a presario 2514 lappy
the clock speed was fine but they used to lose the race in hdd speed.
the rpm of a lappy hdd is 4200 as compared to a desptop 7200..
i'm not even bringing sata into the picture.
7200 rpm lappy hds have recently come into the market but still quite costly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom