Dictionary for Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

surdy

Broken In
There are enough good English dictionaries available for windows Platform

I'am looking 4 a gud Eng dicti 4 Linux platform ....that must be having a good large database of words.
Any suggetions??

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
There's a Dictionary client called gdict in GNOME. Using this would require you to have access to internet so that the client can connect to a dict server.

You may also install a local dictd server if you may please.

OP
S

surdy

Broken In
thanx ...i knew that ...but the problem is that i don't have 24 hour internet acess

any more suggetions

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
I know of a dictionary that was installed when i emerged abiword its big and i think good. Its called aspell-en-0.51.1 in gentoo so you can find the equivalant rpm or deb as the case may be.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
but pradeep, that is Abiword's internal spell check dictionary. You can't really use it outside Abiword and OpenOffice. aspell, myspell are wrong word correction dictionaries.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
For installing dictionary client:
apt-get install gdict
apt-get install kdict

For installing local dict server
apt-get install dictd
apt-get install dict-gcide
apt-get install dict-client

the dict-gcide package is contains the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English, formatted for use by the dictionary server in the dictd package. The GCIDE contains the full text of the 1913 Webster's Unabridged Dictionary, supplemented by many definitions from WordNet, the Century Dictionary, 1906, and many additional definitions contributed by volunteers

please not that i haven't installed a dict server myself.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Yes it does. Its an official snapshot of Sarge. It has lots of packages... in fact i use it as my local debian mirror :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom