Diablo II: Resurrected

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Is LAN play a thing these days? The last time I played something over LAN was during early 2000s - CS:CZ, CS:Source and Quake 3.
Yeah, but the point is that they removed it after promising to add it. Besides they never really elaborated on what sort of security issues they are trying to avoid. It's most likely they just want to do this to avoid piracy or to lock people into their servers. I hope they don't axe single player mode though.
Act 1, 2 Cinematics Reveal:

Side-by-side comparison with original D2:

Wow. The graphics are impressive but I think the voice acting needs to be improved.

OP

Killing Machine
Yeah, but the point is that they removed it after promising to add it. Besides they never really elaborated on what sort of security issues they are trying to avoid. It's most likely they just want to do this to avoid piracy or to lock people into their servers. I hope they don't axe single player mode though.
Yeah, the remaster will obviously share the same Battle.net platform/DRM as other Blizzard games so to allow local LAN play might have been challenging. I'm curious to know how the SP game session/saves are going to be handled. D3 has an always-online requirement for solo play.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Diablo 3 technically does not run on your machine, even the single player mode is a multiplayer mode since your game session is active on the server so you cannot really play single player offline.

Diablo 2 however plays like any standard single player game, you can play alone offline or offline multiplayer over LAN. You only need Battle.net to play on the internet.

I'm curious to know how the SP game session/saves are going to be handled.
I am guessing there will be some sort of syncing mechanism implemented with a limited number of character slots.

OP

Killing Machine
Watch any D2:R Twitch stream with drops enabled for 2.5 hours and get early access to open beta:

*scontent.fybz2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/236507391_10158157451076641_574746734052468492_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-4&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=OrJSC22RQu0AX-RaykS&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-1.fna&oh=c00c965986a38370243312888f918beb&oe=613CDB29
*scontent.fybz2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/236426038_10158157451031641_2184971957778621161_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-4&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=C3Vb3qvksvsAX9yjQwc&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-1.fna&oh=143bd53b3aef925c627f6baeb5cc5c80&oe=613D3EA7

OP

Killing Machine
Got the beta access. :thumbs: Downloading now..

*i.imgur.com/Q4XqLXb.png

It shows 3 regions - Americas, Europe, Asia. So I guess D2 follows suit as other Blizzard games, progression and characters are region specific.

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Got the beta access. :thumbs: Downloading now..

*i.imgur.com/Q4XqLXb.png

It shows 3 regions - Americas, Europe, Asia. So I guess D2 follows suit as other Blizzard games, progression and characters are region specific.
America's is for us like last time ?

OP

Killing Machine
So, is this also always online like Diablo 3?
Beta test is online-only so it connects directly to Bnet (shown below) when you start the game and only allows to create online characters. But actual game will have local characters for solo play it seems.

*i.imgur.com/RmTYJeS.png

true_lies

Ambassador of Buzz
Open Beta this Weekend
Free for all to play, 5 classes available to play for the first 2 Acts, no level cap.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I noticed something weird. When I logged in a second time with the same character, the map was different. That is first time I logged in and created a character, the exit out of the Rogue encampment was to the left, then I quit and selected the same character the next day, the exit was from the top. Actually, the whole map had changed from what I had played the first time.

Is this something common when playing online? I don't know because I have never played online.

OP

Killing Machine
I noticed something weird. When I logged in a second time with the same character, the map was different. That is first time I logged in and created a character, the exit out of the Rogue encampment was to the left, then I quit and selected the same character the next day, the exit was from the top. Actually, the whole map had changed from what I had played the first time.

Is this something common when playing online? I don't know because I have never played online.
This is normal and that is how it has always been for D2 online. Maps & monsters are randomly (to an extent) generated every time you create a new game. This is why we have maphacks for D2 which reveals the entire map and tells you the location of Uber Diablo (when doing Anni runs) and shortest route to waypoints when doing regular boss runs.

Last edited:
OP

Killing Machine
*i.imgur.com/Ic8sXn2.png

All ladder specific items/runewords can be unlocked in SP and NL mode. Good to know the door to more content on top of vanilla D2 exists! :doublethumb:

Top Bottom