Developer's rig need to be built...budget 25k

appy

Right off the assembly line
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')

Ans: I want to build a developer's rig/mini home server. Will be running Linux & windows. Needs to be fast for development of all sorts (mini clouds, LAMP stack, running multiple VM's, Full Stack devp, print/media/share server)[all will be in Linux]. Will be used for editing photos and videos (Adobe PS & Premiere mainly).
Rig should allow fast compile times for droid/java/python etc devp. Heavy multitasking.
I occasionally play FPS games like CS, COD & DOTA; is a gfx card will be required for a dual monitor setup?

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Rs 25k. Can extend this by a little bit.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Primarily Win7 64 bit with Ubuntu or Fedora in dual boot configuration.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: I have a 1TB HDD external powered drive which will be converted to internal storage. I plan to go for a 128GB SSD (only for OS & apps)

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: I have an Samsung 19" LED monitor. Will buy another on in future for dual monitor setup.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Monitor, HDD, speakers. I will reuse all these for now.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: ASAP, maybe by next month.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: By myself have done lots before and upgrades will be done by me only.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Thane. Planning to buy from Lamington Road (shop suggestions welcome). Open to shop online stores as well as locally for good deals.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: AMD & Intel both welcome. PC will be running for most of the time, so has to be silent and power efficient. Basically 25k for a Cabinet, PSU, MB, CPU & RAM.

Last edited:
Top Bottom