deemee1988

Right off the assembly line
1. Budget?
2. Display type and size?
Preferring 5" display.
3. Dual sim?
Yes, it can be dual SIM
4. Preferred choice of brand?
Only no to manufacturer, who void warranty on flashing/unlocking bootloader.
5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)?
Nothing specific
6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, etc).
Android
7. Preferred connectivity options (3G, 4G ready).
4G
8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)?
Rooting and testing FOSS apps
9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
NA
10. Any other info that you want to share
Looking for better custom ROM support.

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
Your only options are Xiaomi Redmi Note 3/4 and Oneplus X.

Other OEMs will void warranty after rooting.

They don't void warranty if rooted? Didn't know that! [MENTION=137514]deemee1988[/MENTION] what about second hand nexus phone, as you are going to use it only for testing purposes and nexus got a whole library of custom ROM's and support. Maybe 5 or 5x?

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
They don't void warranty if rooted? Didn't know that! [MENTION=137514]deemee1988[/MENTION] what about second hand nexus phone, as you are going to use it only for testing purposes and nexus got a whole library of custom ROM's and support. Maybe 5 or 5x?
Nexus 5 is old now
And 5X has many faults like overheating,bootlooping etc
Also 5X doesn't have as many custom ROMs as Redmi Note 3 has

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

OP
D

deemee1988

Right off the assembly line
Your only options are Xiaomi Redmi Note 3/4 and Oneplus X.

Other OEMs will void warranty after rooting.

Nexus 5 is old now
And 5X has many faults like overheating,bootlooping etc
Also 5X doesn't have as many custom ROMs as Redmi Note 3 has

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

expect Note4 ...None of these phone are avaliable...

Since I look for warranty, it would be my daily driver.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
for Developer friendly, snapdragon SoC is must. I don't know why, but there are not much development with MediaTek SoC.
Developer friendly, so you are developing for first time. So for popular device within developers.
Nexus, Oneplus are developer friendly. Also google play edition phones are good. But not quite popular. For example Moto G Play, VoLTE supported but not many suggestions for it.
Nexus and Pixel developer support still strong but they are not better phones (considering everything).
If you want to develop custom ROM then at least consider snapdragon SoC.
and if you want to use custom ROMs, then go for recently updated + max custom rom support..

I am using Redmi note 4, ask me for any questions about it..

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
for Developer friendly, snapdragon SoC is must. I don't know why, but there are not much development with MediaTek SoC.
Developer friendly, so you are developing for first time. So for popular device within developers.
Nexus, Oneplus are developer friendly. Also google play edition phones are good. But not quite popular. For example Moto G Play, VoLTE supported but not many suggestions for it.
Nexus and Pixel developer support still strong but they are not better phones (considering everything).
If you want to develop custom ROM then at least consider snapdragon SoC.
and if you want to use custom ROMs, then go for recently updated + max custom rom support..

I am using Redmi note 4, ask me for any questions about it..

MediaTek SoC is ****. Period. But if you just want a crash dummy phone, then MediaTek phones are cheap enough to fill that role.

Otherwise like SaiyanGoku said, Xiaomi and OnePlus are your best bet. But no manufacturer provides warranty for bricked phones AFAIK, so there is that risk.

Top Bottom