Dev Board required .. what to chose ?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Hey guys,
I need a dev board trying to figure out which one might be the best with maximum connectivity support. I have previously built embedded boards using 8051/52 as a hobby. now I want to get back to building application using embedded processors. Please recommend.

primary connectivity required - Ethernet, Bluetooth, USB. serial, I2C would usually come on board so I take these two as granted.

there are many options but im a bit confused which one to buy.

Arduino, BeagleBoard, Ras PI etc .. Lego? :-?

initially I dont want to spend much may be 4K , later I can go for boards up to 10K ..

PS: I will be rebooting on embedded after a gap of almost 9 yrs :p and I would prefer to program in C/C++

Last edited:
Arduino is your best option if you like a c based programming style, and if it includes serial I/O, then it IS the best. Rpi is also good, but I have no personal experience with it, ring LFC_fan, he has one iirc

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
bought Uno from Simple Labs Chennai, still exploring other boards.. for future purchases.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Arduino Uno is good.

Beaglebone is a nice option if one wants a 'computer'. It costs ~6K and has lots of GPIO pins and it actually runs a Linux kernel off the microSD card. So, you can also use other programming languages like Python.

Dunno about Beagleboard, but Pandaboard ES will require soldering a header if for GPIOs. These are proper "computer" boards and cost Rs. 10K+.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I just got the package.. when I opened it up there was a plastic box :/ .. I was taken aback thinking that I got duped into locally made board.. but when I actually fully opened the pack did I realize the size of the whole Arduino package :lol: its damn tiny and took me completely by surprise!! will post a photo. good work by Simple Labs :)

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
Ok, I have no idea about electronics but I am really interested in building something on my own. Where to start?

Mr.Kickass

In the zone
Ok, I have no idea about electronics but I am really interested in building something on my own. Where to start?

Sorry to bump such an old thread but now that there's talk of a separate thread being created for Arduino so, why not ?

Chirag you can ask here, as this is where things might actually take off and regarding guidance it would help if you know at least C programming as much of the hardware is controlled via software and hardware debugging is something that will take you far but you need to give it some time.

Here, register on these forums(but do come back to us :D). Assuming you have NO experience(besides coding skills) you should begin with the first forum as I have listed them in a certain order how you should progress although you are free to choose your own way of going about it

You should at least start somewhere and I'm assuming you have no coding experience so first start with learning C/C++

Introduction to C

Now this is more like a documentation kind of site where you can refer to the standard stuff like libraries and syntax
C++ Language Tutorial

Once you get the hang of it you can now begin getting your hands dirty with hardware, the REAL electronics :twisted:

If you want to read some theory on electronics then you should certainly pay here a visit

These are the good guys and they relly help you
All About Circuits

Another good reference site
Basic Electronics Tutorials

Now these guys are like Gods, you can get ANY help here be it theory OR practice. Don't get put off by the design of these forums as they are not from a web developer's perspective. Just focus on the content. Its gold.
edaboard

But you need to make sure you have the requisite background in Math, not much but just a working knowledge to make the most of the above two sites

Now that we're done with the theory on Electronics we should begin working with the devices.

Note: I'm only posting links related to Arduino

First, you should know what is a microcontroller. Now depending on your preference you can either go for a hardcore approach by starting with an AVR suite which will require you to have serious coding skills in C and a thorough knowledge of microcontrollers or you can just skip it for a much easier to understand Arduino development suite where everything is just available for you to work with and the only thing that you have to do is a little bit of hardware debugging and lots of C++. Whichever way you choose I'm mentioning both of them but you must start somewhere, and that should be some good text on microcontrollers. But only start reading this book once you have acquired a fairly decent working knowledge of basic elementary electronics. Don't get put off by the hard work as it will surely pay once you get a the hang of it.

Start with the legendary text on microcontrollers
The 8051 Microcontroller and Embedded Systems Using Assembly and C 2 Edition

But because the world is more interested in ATmega chips these days so you'd want to read this
The AVR Microcontroller and Embedded Systems: Using Assembly and C

Of all other things DO NOT SKIP THESE TEXTS. Not that you won't find anything on the net but the basics are all explained in this book.

So, if you're liking the AVR route to program chips then

The legendary forum where people have more than decades of experience
AVR Freaks
(Please don't get put off by the amateurish name)

This is some guy from VIT, Vellore who has very nicely explained all the concepts and I referred to it during my project
maxEmbedded
(But don't just start without reading at least some basics from the above mentioned texts)

Time for some videos

Ok, so this guy is really famous for his Arduino videos and you SHOULD give it a look especially if you have a good net plan :p

Another person but with a more mature instructor focusing on the more general concept of microcontroller using AVR suite

Oh, and did I need to even mention a link to the Arduino homepage ? Still, I did... :p

That was all I could think of at the moment, but let me know if there's anything else you wish to know

Top Bottom