Desktop upgrade suggestion needed

icebags

Technomancer
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.' Vague answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work.)
Ans: Need to upgrade CPU, Mobo, RAM for - Documents, browsing, watch movies & youtube, light not so frequesnt gaming with BF1 & older stuff.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then please mention.
Ans: 20K

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: May be after 8-10 years, to squeeze out last of the juice.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Using 8.1, I can still upgrade to 11, right ?

5. How much hard drive / solid-state drive space is needed?
Ans: Already have HDD with enough space.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention the screen size and resolution you prefer. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, then do mention the screen size and resolution of the monitor you have.
Ans: No

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy? i.e. which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Nothing except CPU, Motherboard, RAM

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: 1 Month may be.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before? Or, will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Any

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: None.

My 14.5 year old C2D E8400 with 8GB RAM doesn't seem to be faring as fast these days anymore. Also, it's of no use to any gaming since the GFX stopped working long ago. And I started to think if this could be a good time to upgrade.
Thinking of getting APU this time, since GFX seems to expire in 4-5 years normally, and the CPU itself is not good for even low detail gaming for many even old games. seems it struggles enough to play even HD videos too.

Thinking of getting :
5600G / 4600G + Asrock B450 HDV + 2x8GB Gskill 3200Mhz

Since this desktop uses Windows 8.1, thinking of upgrading to 11. I hope they are still allowing that.

Please suggest.

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah probably that's the best one could get in the budget.
Instead of HDV, better go for one of the other B450s, the one with heat sink on - M Pro4/Pro4/M Pro VDH Max/ M-A II.
Depends on the choice and where you're getting, you may go bit above your budget.
And also make sure they are 5000 APU compatible right out of the box.

OP
icebags

icebags

Technomancer
Instead of HDV, better go for one of the other B450s, the one with heat sink on - M Pro4/Pro4/M Pro VDH Max/ M-A II.
Depends on the choice and where you're getting, you may go bit above your budget.
don't know why, but AM4 motherboards across most sites mostly saying out of stock. after 5.5k it immediately jumps to 7.5k and more. so few choices.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
don't know why, but AM4 motherboards across most sites mostly saying out of stock. after 5.5k it immediately jumps to 7.5k and more. so few choices.
Oh! Didn't know about the availability. Check local stores as well. I don't know what's premium for 3600mhz, it's a sweet spot for 5000 series. If it's not much, you can go for that.

OP
icebags

icebags

Technomancer
Oh! Didn't know about the availability. Check local stores as well. I don't know what's premium for 3600mhz, it's a sweet spot for 5000 series. If it's not much, you can go for that.
will check. is GSkill RAM good ? I used Corsair DDR3 value RAM, which was good, even got overclocked neatly.
is it a good idea to overclock 2666/3200 RAMs to run at 3600, or should just buy 3600s ?

How is Silicon Power RAM? that seems comes few hundred rupee cheaper.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
will check. is GSkill RAM good ? I used Corsair DDR3 value RAM, which was good, even got overclocked neatly.
is it a good idea to overclock 2666/3200 RAMs to run at 3600, or should just buy 3600s ?

How is Silicon Power RAM? that seems comes few hundred rupee cheaper.
Corsair, Adata, Kingston, G Skill are the common ones. I would go for one them instead. May have seen Silicon memory in the listing, I am not sure.

You need CPU, mobo, RAM & SSD. Win10 needs a SSD as bare minimum for smooth operation, even if min. req lists HDD.

For 20k, the parts you listed seems fine. 3200MHz RAM is fine, not like your will get a very big performance jump b/w 3200 & 3600 RAMs with iGPU (it helps, but not a lot, dual channel surely helps, but you will need a dGPU for decent gaming).

pcpricetracker.in/b/s/426bbc29-08fc-4d16-a59a-2b0656cb7d3f

Spent the extra 3k on a 500GB SSD, it is 100% worth it.

Upgrade from 8.1 to 10, then 10 to 11 to retain your legit license. I personally use Win10, Win11 needs more polishing IMO.

OP
icebags

icebags

Technomancer
You need CPU, mobo, RAM & SSD. Win10 needs a SSD as bare minimum for smooth operation, even if min. req lists HDD.

For 20k, the parts you listed seems fine. 3200MHz RAM is fine, not like your will get a very big performance jump b/w 3200 & 3600 RAMs with iGPU (it helps, but not a lot, dual channel surely helps, but you will need a dGPU for decent gaming).

pcpricetracker.in/b/s/426bbc29-08fc-4d16-a59a-2b0656cb7d3f

Spent the extra 3k on a 500GB SSD, it is 100% worth it.

Upgrade from 8.1 to 10, then 10 to 11 to retain your legit license. I personally use Win10, Win11 needs more polishing IMO.
how bad is it without ssd ? if it's that bad, i can go for a 120/256gb one, for bare minimum OS files only. i guess this should not take more than 70-80gb even for windows 11, right ?

also, thanks for suggesting the upgrade path. so, do i get the windows 10 iso, make boot stick, boot from it and do the upgrade with my 8.1 key ? they are still allowing the upgrade right , i did not do this before.

some changes in mind, B450 seems support 3200MHz with OC, whereas A520 does it stock, and seems a bit cheaper. Thinking of getting Asrock A520M-HDV now, I understand it doesn't have VRM heatsink either, but I may just stick some small aluminum heatsinks on them with heatsink tape.

Last edited:
how bad is it without ssd ? if it's that bad, i can go for a 120/256gb one, for bare minimum OS files only. i guess this should not take more than 70-80gb even for windows 11, right ?

also, thanks for suggesting the upgrade path. so, do i get the windows 10 iso, make boot stick, boot from it and do the upgrade with my 8.1 key ? they are still allowing the upgrade right , i did not do this before.

some changes in mind, B450 seems support 3200MHz with OC, whereas A520 does it stock, and seems a bit cheaper. Thinking of getting Asrock A520M-HDV now, I understand it doesn't have VRM heatsink either, but I may just stick some small aluminum heatsinks on them with heatsink tape.
256GB SSD is the minimum you need. 128GB is just too low. Regarding how bad is it, your PC will continuously lag & most of the times it will have 100% disk usage (not the case with Win8.1). I compared Win8.1 vs 2015 build of Win10 vs Win10 1909 in 2020 on a friend's laptop with HDD, former 2 were fine on HDD but not the newer one.

zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Cheap B450 vs A520 doesn't matter much IMO. Look into differences in RAM slots, USB ports, M.2 slots, etc. RAM will work with XMP profile on B450 easily, not a deal breaker at all.

OP
icebags

icebags

Technomancer
256GB SSD is the minimum you need. 128GB is just too low. Regarding how bad is it, your PC will continuously lag & most of the times it will have 100% disk usage (not the case with Win8.1). I compared Win8.1 vs 2015 build of Win10 vs Win10 1909 in 2020 on a friend's laptop with HDD, former 2 were fine on HDD but not the newer one.

zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Cheap B450 vs A520 doesn't matter much IMO. Look into differences in RAM slots, USB ports, M.2 slots, etc. RAM will work with XMP profile on B450 easily, not a deal breaker at all.
alright, so i will make it 240gb then. and i have shortlisted the following sata ones (sequence as per preference) :

Crucial BX500
WD Green
ADATA SU650

(1) can you please suggest which one of the above would be best for reliability and wont fail anytime soon.

now there is a problem though, hard disks are getting piling up, those mobos provide 4x sata ports, and with this ssd, i will have 4 hard disks and one optical drive, which got accumulated over the years. so, one will be left out.
i see you have suggested M.2 NVME drive, and those mobos support 4 x SATA3, 1 x Ultra M.2(Gen3 x4 & SATA3). i am not familiar with M.2, i heard if you use M.2 then one sata port goes off. so there again 4 drives total.

(2) so please suggest if that is true.

another issue is that, my Os comes upgraded from win XP. to install OS fresh on a drive, i guess i have to load XP first, then upgrade to Win 8.1, then Win 10. but as per the specs these new mother board & processionor wont boot with XP or win 8. so, cant directly load OS into M.2.

then again when reading that zdnet article you provided, i came across this and got confused:

The digital license is associated with that specific device, which means you can reformat the disk and perform a clean installation of the same edition of Windows 10 anytime. (If you're thinking of upgrading your old system drive to an SSD, perform the upgrade to Windows 10 on the old hardware; after confirming that the new Windows 10 version is properly activated, install the SSD and then either restore from a backup image or boot from the USB flash drive to do a clean install. You won't need a product key, and activation is automatic.)

(3) so it means i have to do the upgrade in HDD with current C2Duo, activate Windows 10, then change the hardware to AMD, then copy OS image to M.2 drive ? that process is so complicated and long. :pullhair:

then there is mention of "boot from the USB flash drive to do a clean install", (4) does this mean, once win10 is activated in new hardware from HDD, i can just boot from bootable windows10 stick and do fresh install of 10 diectly on M.2, without installing the prior windows versions ? :chinscratch:

so confusing.

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Both look pretty much the same. DIY fashion heat sink would be fine too. :thumbs:
Crucial BX500

i see you have suggested M.2 NVME drive, and those mobos support 4 x SATA3, 1 x Ultra M.2(Gen3 x4 & SATA3). i am not familiar with M.2, i heard if you use M.2 then one sata port goes off. so there again 4 drives total.

so it means i have to do the upgrade in HDD with current C2Duo, activate Windows 10, then change the hardware to AMD, then copy OS image to M.2 drive ? that process is so complicated and long. :pullhair:

so confusing.
Come on, nvme price has fallen a lot lately. You can even 500GB nvme for sub 3k (I got 120GB SATA SSD for 4.1k 4-5yrs back), even when we got WD Blue 256GB about 6 months back, it cost more than what 500GB costs now. Any way it's your choice.

AFAIK, 6 SATA and 2 nvme has that limitation. I think you're good with 4 SATA and 1 NVME, nothing will disable anything.

Can you not add your license using Microsoft account and use it in the new system by logging into that account and activate?

OP
icebags

icebags

Technomancer
Both look pretty much the same. DIY fashion heat sink would be fine too. :thumbs:

Come on, nvme price has fallen a lot lately. You can even 500GB nvme for sub 3k (I got 120GB SATA SSD for 4.1k 4-5yrs back), even when we got WD Blue 256GB about 6 months back, it cost more than what 500GB costs now. Any way it's your choice.

AFAIK, 6 SATA and 2 nvme has that limitation. I think you're good with 4 SATA and 1 NVME, nothing will disable anything.
well, i may get nvme with a 256mb, and this one here costs 1.8 ok, which is reasonable. but i am more concerned about how complicated the installment process will become.

*mdcomputers.in/adata-xpg-gammix-s5-256gb-m-2-agammixs5-256gt-c.html?sort=p.price&order=ASC

Can you not add your license using Microsoft account and use it in the new system by logging into that account and activate?

i really dont know, only did this win8 upgrade 12 years age or something, and probably never bothered with windows installation again.

it's coming to trial and error now i guess, where if i get a sata drive, i can directly try the upgradation with my current system and buy those remaining hardware later.

thats why thinking of ordering Cruicial SSD. you think Crucial BX series is ok to rely on ? i see its one of the highest sold ssd in FK.

i may buy NVME later when it gets kaput, or few years later when i have a clear idea how these things will work.

Last edited:

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
If your current hardware is working you can try new windows installation and removing all bloatware (there are many). It may still work fine for your bacis needs.

OP
icebags

icebags

Technomancer
Dont go for 256 GB NVME. 500 GB should be bare minimum, even if you go for a SATA SSD.

are you sure, i will be using this for Os only. even my office laptop came with a 240gb ssd only, and it has 80gb left even after installing all those dev , office and official spyware software. if windows ever demands more than lets say 180-190gb after 7-8 years, may be i can upgrade then again, since it will wear out a lot by then anyways.

If your current hardware is working you can try new windows installation and removing all bloatware (there are many). It may still work fine for your bacis needs.
right, i went and checked some tutorials on how to make windows OS image and restore. seems like i can do it.
now, thinking of upgrading my hdd first and later restore this to an nvme, as guys suggested above.

any bloatware removal guide you suggest ?

Last edited:

rockfella

Ambassador of Buzz
are you sure, i will be using this for Os only. even my office laptop came with a 240gb ssd only, and it has 80gb left even after installing all those dev , office and official spyware software. if windows ever demands more than lets say 180-190gb after 7-8 years, may be i can upgrade then again, since it will wear out a lot by then anyways.

right, i went and checked some tutorials on how to make windows OS image and restore. seems like i can do it.
now, thinking of upgrading my hdd first and later restore this to an nvme, as guys suggested above.

any bloatware removal guide you suggest ?
I use revo uninstaller pro and uninstall all crap from here:
1682180806239.png

At default this list is full of softwares.

Install if now and see if you remove anything you don't use.

OP
icebags

icebags

Technomancer
I use revo uninstaller pro and uninstall all crap from here:

At default this list is full of softwares.

Install if now and see if you remove anything you don't use.
thanks !

btw, everyone. something thats worrying me , is the unavailability varieties of AM4 (A520 / B450 / B550) motherboards in low budget segment. are these out of production or they are pulling the strings due to any new chipset release in near future ? would it be wise to wait a bit ?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
btw, everyone. something thats worrying me , is the unavailability varieties of AM4 (A520 / B450 / B550) motherboards in low budget segment. are these out of production or they are pulling the strings due to any new chipset release in near future ? would it be wise to wait a bit ?
B550 right from the start demanding premium, prices didn't fall to the level of B450s and the same applies to A520 against A320. And there never was a lot of choice when it comes to A series boards comparing to B series. It's been what, about 2-3yrs since B550 launch? I wouldn't be surprised it they have scaled down the production of B450 or even stop. But with 500 series boards, I don't think so. It's their last and existing DDR4 boards, they wouldn't axe anytime soon. Try both online/offline, you can find one.

Top Bottom