I have a 7 years old assembled desktop.

core i3 3220,
sapphire 7770,
gigabyte b75m,
corsair 4gb 1600mhz * 3,
corsair 430cxv2 PSU
1TB HDD
7200RPM

I am using this desktop without any UPS directly connected to main supply and I haven't faced any issues due to voltage fluctuations.
Now since 2 months i am noticing that desktop restarts due to even minor voltage fluctuations and from last week its almost 2 times every hour.
It is running for 12 hrs everyday since lock-down and before that it was not used much because I used to stay in different city.

I tried using it with 10 years old working UPS whose battery was dead and still faced the restart issue.
After reading some posts it seems PSU is faulty but I am not sure and someone suggested to just get an UPS to solve my problem.
As I will not be staying longer at my hometown(till WFH ends) so I don't wish to invest in a UPS because I heard its battery needs to be replaced every 3 years even it is left idle.
Please suggest what should I buy PSU and UPS both or either items.

the PSU should be future proof as I will upgrade whole system after 2 years.

quicky008

Technomancer
A PSU cannot safeguard your pc from voltage abnormalities,its not a power conditioning device.

If you want to protect your pc from fluctuations,then either you will have to get an ups (that's equipped with a fully functioning AVR) or a robust voltage stabilizer.

quicky008

Technomancer
If it had been doing its job properly then your desktop wouldn't have experienced restarts due to voltage fluctuations in the first place.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Getting a good UPS is the most effective way to get rid of this issue. Changing battery of UPS is fairly easy and battery costs around ~700-800. A 600VA UPS for you is good enough. Get one from APC.

Top Bottom