Desktop refuses to start at home but happily starts in a different place

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
In the last month there were many instances when my desktop refused to power on on the first try but start after sometime if tried.

Last week it stopped turning on completely. Motherboard LED comes on but no fans spin. At the repair shop it works. At my office it works. At my friends house it works. At my neighbour's it doesn't. And once it works in a place and I bring it back home it works for sometime but after sleeping the night it refuses to start.

I have tried with a spare PSU and again it refuses to start.

Could it be that the motherboard is faulty? Grounding issues?

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I do have a UPS. The battery had gone down so replaced it. Ran well for 1 week. Now it is back to same situation.

Voltage is fluctuating but generally 200+ to 220 V.

Tried connecting through spike guard by Anchor but no change.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Either mobo issue(they can be very specific sometimes) or there is some grounding issue in your area power supply resulting in some kind of shorting happening.Try to start your mobo with just ram & processor installed & placed on some wooden surface/newspaper on ground outside of cabinet(just connect the front panel wire to mobo or you can even start by shorting the pins of power switch on mobo by using some metallic object like screwdriver or a metallic wire.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
In the last month there were many instances when my desktop refused to power on on the first try but start after sometime if tried.

Last week it stopped turning on completely. Motherboard LED comes on but no fans spin. At the repair shop it works. At my office it works. At my friends house it works. At my neighbour's it doesn't. And once it works in a place and I bring it back home it works for sometime but after sleeping the night it refuses to start.

I have tried with a spare PSU and again it refuses to start.

Could it be that the motherboard is faulty? Grounding issues?
Check with the local electrician about the socket you are plugging in. whether it has earthing or not and during monsoon the walls get damp and sometimes it may not work. All kinds of things will happen during monsoon. So check 1st and come to a conclusion. Okay.
While I was in hyderabad same thing happened, no earthing and my components got fried and I have to RMA them, luckily nobody refused even though it was burnt damage to my CPU socket.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I am yet to try the bare board method for testing. I have tried shorting pins directly but that did not work.

Grounding seems to be alright according to the Anchor spike guard which has the feature of showing wiring status but that may not be sensitive enough for computer. I have try to get a proper electrician.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I am yet to tey the bare board method.

However yesterday I took the box for a drive, came back home and it started. So I assume the fault is in something loose. May be total reassembly would help unless it is something inside PSU or Motherboard.

Top Bottom